Dougie Freedman new Crystal Palace manager

CumbrianRam

Crystal Palace Football Club are delighted to announce that Dougie Freedman has been appointed First Team Manager with immediate effect on a two and half year contract.

Freedman, 36, has been back on the management staff at the club since March 2010 when he assisted Paul Hart in keeping the club in the Championship. In the summer he was appointed assistant manager to George Burley after a playing career with the club which saw him make 368 appearances and score 108 goals.

A delighted Freedman spoke to the official site on Tuesday evening. "This is a very proud moment for me to be named manager of the club that I have grown to love.

"First and foremost I would like to thank the fans for their support over my playing and coaching career and long may it continue.

"I would also like to thank the owners of the club for giving me this opportunity and I am looking forward to the challenge ahead. I will now look at both the playing squad and my own staff which we will hopefully add to sooner rather than later."

Co-Chairman Steve Parish told the official site " As you are all aware we have spent the past two weeks, interviewing candidates, taking advice and discussing amongst ourselves the criteria we need in a new manager to put this club back where it belongs.

"As a consequence of that I'm delighted that Dougie Freedman has agreed to become the manager of Crystal Palace Football Club.

"I was determined to have someone with fresh ideas, committed to working in a modern innovative way. We also need someone with a great knowledge of our current squad, its strengths; weaknesses where we need to make additions with a firm idea of who they should be. Finally we need someone who has as deep a passion for this club as we do, Dougie ticks all those boxes and more. We will also be adding some 'older heads' to bring some experience as Dougie's assistants and these will be announced in due course. Right now we are all galvanised and focused on Saturday's game against Swansea and climbing the table."

Now the appointment has been made the club's efforts will turn to making the most of the January transfer window to enhance the squad for the remainder of this season.

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10323~2264225,00.html

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived