Derby County mull over new Frank Fielding deal

Day

I think Clough would be crazy to sign Fielding to be honest, let's say Commons doesn't sign a new contract, Davies and Porter both pick up long term injuries which rules them both out for the season and would also end any chance of new deals. Add Bueno, Moore, and Savage to the list of departures.

This would leave the squad very thin, can we afford to blow what would be a decent amount to sign another keeper when we have a more than capable keeper already at the club, plus a couple of young keepers waiting in the wings.

Well Clough does not think Byewater is that capable if he is wanting to get Fielding on another short loan. Why does Glick and Co not put thier hands in the pockets and sign this future England Goal keeper FGS.

I know what your saying Daveo about if certain players get injured or dont sign and so on....but think Commons will sign and we will end up with Davies and Moore up front in the new year and Porter as a sub if not injured with Kucki coming back in January as back up...this will happen as Glick and Co are just waiting to see what they get for Varney and thats why the Commons contract is hanging in the balance( all depends if Blackpool buy or not Varney.

******* Yanks hate em, get out my club NOW.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well Clough does not think Byewater is that capable if he is wanting to get Fielding on another short loan. Why does Glick and Co not put thier hands in the pockets and sign this future England Goal keeper FGS.

I know what your saying Daveo about if certain players get injured or dont sign and so on....but think Commons will sign and we will end up with Davies and Moore up front in the new year and Porter as a sub if not injured with Kucki coming back in January as back up...this will happen as Glick and Co are just waiting to see what they get for Varney and thats why the Commons contract is hanging in the balance( all depends if Blackpool buy or not Varney.

£1.5m+ is most if not all of the transfer budget for every club in this league, apart from the relegated clubs and QPR. Its highly doubtful that we could get Fielding for anything less than this. Would Clough want to use his entire budget on players on a goalkeeper when in his eyes we have a perfectly good number one keeper anyway?

Highly doubtful. Besides which if we were to make a move it'd be better to do it during the summer as his price is only going to be bumped up regardless during this coming transfer window. Until then, we can loan him in and enquire as to what Blackburn would want in regard to a transfer fee for him.

Why do people think Blackburns 3rd choice would cost over a million? would say his value would be more along the lines of 500k, perhaps 750k maximum.. absolutely crazy, from what I can gather their fans barely realised he left so I doubt for a second the club would demand a large sum for him!

I think the easiest way to sell this to the board is by looking at this financially, you sign a international under 21 when he is available, who has masses of potential and his value would triple/quadruple in the next 3-4 years, which means profit.

surely Clough is in a position now where he can sell these points to the board, he isn't in danger of losing his job..

Why do people think Blackburns 3rd choice would cost over a million? would say his value would be more along the lines of 500k, perhaps 750k maximum.. absolutely crazy, from what I can gather their fans barely realised he left so I doubt for a second the club would demand a large sum for him!

I think the easiest way to sell this to the board is by looking at this financially, you sign a international under 21 when he is available, who has masses of potential and his value would triple/quadruple in the next 3-4 years, which means profit.

surely Clough is in a position now where he can sell these points to the board, he isn't in danger of losing his job..

I find it hard to believe that their fans didn't know he is out on loan to us. We know Ross Akins is out on loan, so why wouldn't they know that there under 21 goalie is out on loan? Or does fans knowledge nowadays set clubs transfer fees?

The fact that he is spending alot of time out on loan my suggest why he is "3rd choice"

Why send him out on loan? Because Blackburn rate him as one for the future, send him out on loan, get 1st team experience, build him up, in the mean time they got two very good goalies in Paul Robinson and Mark Bunn. He spent 2007/08 season out on loan. 2008/2009 season out on loan. Large parts of the 2009/2010 season out on loan. And 2 out of 5 months of this season out on loan.

Blackburn gave him a contract extension till 2012, so if they didn't rate him they would of just released him at the contact in the summer.

Also the fact that Manchester United signed Ben Foster for 1 million and had never played a game for Stoke or the England under 21 suggest to me fielding value will be a seven figure sum.

Firstly Clough does think Bywater is more than capable, this time last year he was tipping Bywater to goto South Africa with England for the World Cup, see link below.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/6905245/World-Cup-2010-Nigel-Clough-backs-Derby-keeper-Stephen-Bywater-for-England-call.html

The reason we kept Fielding was to allow Bywater time to fully recover, get a couple of reserve games under his belt.

I also don't believe Fielding is the future England keeper either, Joe Hart who I think will be England's Number 1 for a number of years yet is only 23, Fielding is 22. Do you see Fielding keeping Hart out the England team? I don't.

Glick and Co will have to put they're money in pockets in the summer, but a keeper is not our priority at the moment.

I nearly fell off my chair when I read that someone thought Fieldong is a future england keeper, I know he is young and will improve but he isnt that good, I would say that I felt Grant looked a better prospect at that age. Top keepers now also need fantastic distribution and while his is better than Bywaters its still not that good. Playing for the england u21s doesnt mean you are that good either, many a player has played for them then never made anything. He is back up to Loach who does look a proper prospect but there arent many others around apart from Man Us 3rd choice and Lewis at Peterbrough who was rubbish last season

Does not matter what they say in the media Ramesse, read a little between the lines what Clough is trying to say, hes not happy and if he had the money he would spend it. The Yanks are tight Barstools and that is the way it is going to stay as long as they are incharge of this club.

I enjoy reading your anti-Yank musings and your theory about a split between Nigel and Glick. But, as usual, there’s not the slightest bit of evidence to back you up. Glick and Nigel appear to have a very good working relationship. They’ve certainly supported each other through some tough times in the last year or so. There’s no substantial difference in what they say to the media.

You must know that GSE/Glick don’t control the investment purse stings. The bulk of the investment available was spent (badly) by PJ.

Nigel wasn't hoodwinked into accepting the Derby job. He’ll have known the financial situation before he signed his contract. Both Nigel and Glick are working together to try and bring success to the club using the funds that are available (however much or little that is). I bet both Nigel ‘and’ Glick wish they had more cash to splash.

I find it hard to believe that their fans didn't know he is out on loan to us. We know Ross Akins is out on loan, so why wouldn't they know that there under 21 goalie is out on loan? Or does fans knowledge nowadays set clubs transfer fees?

The fact that he is spending alot of time out on loan my suggest why he is "3rd choice"

Why send him out on loan? Because Blackburn rate him as one for the future, send him out on loan, get 1st team experience, build him up, in the mean time they got two very good goalies in Paul Robinson and Mark Bunn. He spent 2007/08 season out on loan. 2008/2009 season out on loan. Large parts of the 2009/2010 season out on loan. And 2 out of 5 months of this season out on loan.

Blackburn gave him a contract extension till 2012, so if they didn't rate him they would of just released him at the contact in the summer.

Also the fact that Manchester United signed Ben Foster for 1 million and had never played a game for Stoke or the England under 21 suggest to me fielding value will be a seven figure sum.

I'm still not genuinely convinced, he would cost that much.. there is a difference when Manchester United go after a player and when Derby County go after a player, plus the 'value' of number back up keepers is very small, because unlike outfield players you only need one, I can't imagine blackburn turning down a decent amount of money for a person who is going to barely any run out in the first team perhaps few games in the reserves, then that is his value.. especially when the noises coming from fielding is that of a player who is getting frustrated with being a back-up.

I genuinely think half a million is plenty and we would be able to sign him for that, similar reason to why I think Luke Moore would be a nominal fee.. the club that owns him doesn't want him and since he isn't in WBA squad, he actually cannot play for the first team even if they wanted him too.. they would be happy to get rid of his wages.

I think Clough would be crazy to sign Fielding to be honest, let's say Commons doesn't sign a new contract, Davies and Porter both pick up long term injuries which rules them both out for the season and would also end any chance of new deals. Add Bueno, Moore, and Savage to the list of departures.

This would leave the squad very thin, can we afford to blow what would be a decent amount to sign another keeper when we have a more than capable keeper already at the club, plus a couple of young keepers waiting in the wings.

I agree entirely. For what it's worth, I think Fielding probably is a slightly better keeper than Bywater, but not enough to blow wages that would be better spent strengthening elsewhere.

I agree entirely. For what it's worth, I think Fielding probably is a slightly better keeper than Bywater, but not enough to blow wages that would be better spent strengthening elsewhere.

I think a lot depends on the budget, I believe if we signed Fielding he could serve the club for the next 10 years, however on a tight budget we should put it in the places we need strengthening straight away!

I still don't think Clough will get much to spend, perhaps still have to make a profit from sales as well, probably end up spending around 200k? in january, if Varney is sold.

It's that mentality that nearly cost us our club in the first place.

Let me remind you young man its that sort of mentality that got rid of the 3 amigos and that is what will be needed come January when a certain person makes a proper attempt to take over the club.

The time is close.

If his last name begins with G then i'll be damned if he ever sets foot in this club again.

May be a bit harsh, but the dislike is not unfounded.

I enjoy reading your anti-Yank musings and your theory about a split between Nigel and Glick. But, as usual, there’s not the slightest bit of evidence to back you up. Glick and Nigel appear to have a very good working relationship. They’ve certainly supported each other through some tough times in the last year or so. There’s no substantial difference in what they say to the media.

You must know that GSE/Glick don’t control the investment purse stings. The bulk of the investment available was spent (badly) by PJ.

Nigel wasn't hoodwinked into accepting the Derby job. He’ll have known the financial situation before he signed his contract. Both Nigel and Glick are working together to try and bring success to the club using the funds that are available (however much or little that is). I bet both Nigel ‘and’ Glick wish they had more cash to splash.

Ramesse of course theres nothing in the media to back me up about the split between them, wait and see its close to happening. D Clough knew what he was letting himself into, it was bloody Pearson incharge of football negotitions at the time of Clough arriving and kowing how Pearson works he probably knew he was on his way out anyway.

Oh and yes I think I know like everyone else that its not Glick and Co that pull the purse strings, but the owners, I still think there is plenty of money in the kitty, but they wont spend as it will go in thewir pockets not DCFCs and when they sell I will happily come back on here and say "I TOLD YOU SO"

Fair enough, personally i'm happy enough as we are.

And I don't think anything is going to happen in January, just so I go on record as saying it. There will be no board movements (Well, none outside of the bathroom anyway) or changes.

Archived