Anyone help me please

Whoneedshuls

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi i'm having one of these three put on the back of my shirt at the weekend and wondered if any of you knew there squad number any helps appreciated.

S. Bloomer

k. Hector

d. Mackay

j. O'hare

thought bought doing this for eg

s.bloomer

legend

Thanks man how did you know that as I've tried looking on the Internet all evening and couldn't find them.

Which do you think I should go for?

They didn't have squad numbers when they played, so the shirt number generally reflected what position you played.

And always Hector for me!

Thanks man how did you know that as I've tried looking on the Internet all evening and couldn't find them.

Which do you think I should go for?

Would be surprised if Bloomer wore 9... he was an inside-forward, so more likely 8 or 10. Actually, did they even have shirt numbers when Bloomer played?

They didn't have squad numbers when they played, so the shirt number generally reflected what position you played.

And always Hector for me!

I agree, there was only one King and it wasn't Elvis. Any guy who scores an overhead kick at 59 gets my respect.

I wasn't around to see Bloomer play so I can't comment.

Charlie George must feature as one of the greats of all time as well.

Squad numbers were only introduced about 20 or so years ago.

Shirt numbers, i.e 1-11, was probably after the war.

Squad numbers were introduced in the 1999 - 2000 season but as for the 1-11 numbering I would tend to agree it was probably in the 40s

The first time numbers were used in Association football was August 25, 1928, when Sheffield Wednesday played Arsenal

Squad numbers were introduced in the 1999 - 2000 season but as for the 1-11 numbering I would tend to agree it was probably in the 40s

The first time numbers were used in Association football was August 25, 1928, when Sheffield Wednesday played Arsenal

Squad numbers were used in the Premier League before that, think it was 1992 or 1993. The Football League was 1999-ish.

I think.

Squad numbers were used in the Premier League before that, think it was 1992 or 1993. The Football League was 1999-ish.

I think.

Wiki

In 1993, the The Football Association switched to persistent squad numbers, abandoning the mandatory use of 1–11 for the starting line-up. The first league event to feature this was the 1993 Football League Cup Final between Arsenal and Sheffield Wednesday,[citation needed] and it became standard in the FA Premier League the following season, along with names printed above the numbers.

Most European top leagues adopted the system over the next five years.

The English Football League introduced squad numbers in 1999, and the Football Conference follow suit three years later.

Wiki

In 1993, the The Football Association switched to persistent squad numbers, abandoning the mandatory use of 1–11 for the starting line-up. The first league event to feature this was the 1993 Football League Cup Final between Arsenal and Sheffield Wednesday,[citation needed] and it became standard in the FA Premier League the following season, along with names printed above the numbers.

Most European top leagues adopted the system over the next five years.

The English Football League introduced squad numbers in 1999, and the Football Conference follow suit three years later.

There you go. I've impressed myself a little bit, to be honest... ;-)

Pub quiz superstar eh...!

And now for the next one... In which year were goalkeepers first allowed to not have a green shirt?

Not a clue on that one... I assume you're talking about club football, as international goalkeepers wore yellow for a long time before green shirts became optional in club football.

Pure guess, probably way off... 1990?

That's what I meant sorry, before the war, I don't think they even had shirt numbers?

Pretty sure you're right. Therefore Bloomer, no number. I guess people think of 9 because he scored so many goals, but he actually played inside-forward which, in modern day terms, is probably the sort of position that Commons and Bueno play. Ish.

Archived