MP3 player advice

maxjam

Does anyone have any experience with an MP3 player?  Are they even a thing now-a-days as virtually everyone has a mobile phone!?

I enjoy listening to audiobooks and walk my dogs for about 2hrs a day, so figure I could combine the two.  I've just had a quick look on t'internet and found that they basically fall into 2 categories - expensive for audiophiles or cheap and cheerful with mixed reviews.

I'm looking for something cheap, cheerful and easily replaceable as I'll probably drop it several times whilst I'm out and about, that works well with bluetooth earbuds.  Reviews of a couple of MP3 players I have looked at on Amazon highlighted patchy wireless connectivity as an issue - thats a key feature for me as I can't be doing with wires dangling everywhere getting in my way!

Assuming they are not too niche these days I wondered if anyone had any experience or recommendations.

Interesting question. Why would you not just use a phone though?

I have lots of mp3s saved in my spotify account, which I can then access on phone too.

Do you have loads of mp3s already, or do you buy them still to avoid the Spotify/Audible subscriptions.

Guess you don't have an old iphone lying around?

I do have an old mobile, all I use it for is for 2 factor authentication purposes for websites on my PC.  It never leaves my desk, its quite bulky and tbh I'm not sure it has bluetooth connectivity.  

My missus is always on at me to upgrade it and tbh I don't usually mind spending money, especially on tech but I also like to get my monies worth out of what I buy and it would just be an expensive paperweight. Modern phones also have a tendency to be the size of a small tablet, ideally I'd like a small MP3 player I could use with wireless earbuds - and if I do drop it in the sea or woods or wherever won't have to sell a kidney to replace it!

I do have a Spotify account and enjoy various podcasts and have had an Audible subscription for around a year now - I've recently bought the Lord of the Rings trilogy approx 20-25hrs each.  I'm creating a backlog trying to listen to them all at home, taking an MP3 player out whilst I walk my dogs would solve that!

22 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I do have an old mobile, all I use it for is for 2 factor authentication purposes for websites on my PC.  It never leaves my desk, its quite bulky and tbh I'm not sure it has bluetooth connectivity.  

My missus is always on at me to upgrade it and tbh I don't usually mind spending money, especially on tech but I also like to get my monies worth out of what I buy and it would just be an expensive paperweight. Modern phones also have a tendency to be the size of a small tablet, ideally I'd like a small MP3 player I could use with wireless earbuds - and if I do drop it in the sea or woods or wherever won't have to sell a kidney to replace it!

I do have a Spotify account and enjoy various podcasts and have had an Audible subscription for around a year now - I've recently bought the Lord of the Rings trilogy approx 20-25hrs each.  I'm creating a backlog trying to listen to them all at home, taking an MP3 player out whilst I walk my dogs would solve that!

You could probably get an oldish 2nd hand smartphone, although good point about size. The older ones are probably smaller.

You could just use it for mp3s, no need for a sim card. Maybe 100 quid, but don't know if mp3s are more than that.

Audible is good value on long books. The History of the 2nd World War was a good 37 hours!