Illias Chair

Crewton

Has been sentenced to a year in prison by a court in Belgium for breaking a coach driver's skull. No doubt there fans (and the fans of other clubs) will be clamouring for the club to sack him, like they were with Lawrence and Bennett. Don't hold your breath though.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/23/qprs-ilias-chair-sentenced-to-year-in-belgian-prison-for-breaking-mans-skull

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Popular Days

Most active in this topic

Weird legal process...
Charged, tried, convicted, sentenced to prison... but just carry on for now, in case you fancy appealing.

“The club are, and have been, in regular contact with Ilias Chair’s legal team regarding a charge of assault which has been made against him,” QPR said in a statement. “The legal proceeding is yet to reach its conclusion. As such, the club will be making no further comment at this stage.”

That bold bit in the club statement just doesn't sit well with me.  Surely conviction and sentencing puts an end to the process?  Surely any appeal is a separate process yet to be carried out? 
How about go to prison, appeal if you like, then if you win, you can come back out!
As it stands, he's been convicted and should therefore be in prison.

... It goes without saying, I am far from an expert on this, and am merely airing my confusion!  WTF! 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Weird legal process...
Charged, tried, convicted, sentenced to prison... but just carry on for now, in case you fancy appealing.

That bold bit in the club statement just doesn't sit well with me.  Surely conviction and sentencing puts an end to the process?  Surely any appeal is a separate process yet to be carried out? 
How about go to prison, appeal if you like, then if you win, you can come back out!
As it stands, he's been convicted and should therefore be in prison.

... It goes without saying, I am far from an expert on this, and am merely airing my confusion!  WTF! 🤷‍♂️

I can only imagine it's a quirk of the Belgian legal system. It'll be interesting to see what his club does, but I imagine they'll "stand by him" because he's valuable.