1st July 2022 - The day Derby County last made me cry

Mostyn6

https://clowes.co.uk/2022/07/01/breaking-news-clowes-developments-takeover-derby-county-football-club/

July last year, it was announced that David Clowes had bought Derby County. Saving the club from disappearing into the ever-growing abyss of crushed football clubs.

I cried that day. I didn't think it was bothering me that much. As an adult in his mid-40s, I found myself resenting the amount of money I've "squandered" following Derby County around the country. I can probably count all the enjoyable moments as an adult on my fingers and toes, but there are plenty of bleak and miserable memories, from watching Jim Smith's magic-touch fade, Colin Todd's reputation dwindle, John Gregory's over-confidence implode, Phil Brown trying to reinvent the wheel, Paul Jewell signing everyone he could, to Nigel Clough being too negative to try and win. That's before Uncle Mel came along with his mad rollercoaster.

A few years ago I decided to squander my money on playing Golf badly instead of football, beer, gambling and a curry every Saturday, that made me think I was detached from it all, that I'd cut the ties that only a few years earlier had me desperately scrambling for away tickets for 0-0 draws at places like Preston on a Boxing Day!

I'd consider myself an armchair radio/TV fan nowadays, and my stress level and general health has been much better. 

I no longer live in Derby/Derbyshire, which has left me further detached from the club and fellow Rams fans. But from this forum over the last few days, I'm feeling some real rage towards Warne, and maybe even Clowes. It's worse that any time on this forum. Even Pearson had more support! 

Am I the only one who, whilst disenchanted with performances, and perhaps football in general, doesn't really feel Warne needs sacking?

Or am I still just glad we have a club to talk about?

I think some of the people so enraged by Warne could do with taking a step back and a deep breath.

AS for Clowes, he jumped into Shark-infested waters to drag us back onto the muddy bank, shame on anyone critical of a man who had no ambition to own DCFC, only duty.

Disgruntled fans could do with finding a way to contribute to the growth of the club, not the demise.

Edited by Mostyn6
typos

That's Bostyn Mostyn.

Critique is fine. Well reasoned critique is even better. Suggestions as to how things could be improved are the best. All with a vested interest in all things DCFC should have their say but without the vitriol. I'll be watching, as per usual, here in NL via RamsTV, still get back for around half a dozen games a season and enjoy those weekends. 

Folk SHOULD say what they think but it is always better to explain why you think a certain way and off improvements. Improvement suggestions, other than "sack Warne" are pretty scarce.

On 31/10/2023 at 10:20, MadAmster said:

That's Bostyn Mostyn.

Critique is fine. Well reasoned critique is even better. Suggestions as to how things could be improved are the best. All with a vested interest in all things DCFC should have their say but without the vitriol. I'll be watching, as per usual, here in NL via RamsTV, still get back for around half a dozen games a season and enjoy those weekends. 

Folk SHOULD say what they think but it is always better to explain why you think a certain way and off improvements. Improvement suggestions, other than "sack Warne" are pretty scarce.

Agreed, Ammy! 

Play it on the grass is always a worthwhile suggestion!

17 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Agreed, Ammy! 

Play it on the grass is always a worthwhile suggestion!

That worked pretty well against what looked like a poor Cobblers side on Tuesday. However, (a) are they that bad, (b) they had a poor day at the office, which is a possibility considering the fact that they had only conceded 17 in 14 League games previously this season OR is it (c) they played as well as we allowed them to on what turned out to be an excellent day at the office for us.

My opinion is that (a) is wrong as they hadn't been hammered by anybody this season and had beaten Posh, conceding an average of just over 1 goal (1.21 to be preciser) a game . I'm going for a combination of (b) and (c).