varney to sheff wednesday on loan

derbydan

Just heard from a mate that knows a few people at pps and apparently varney has gone to sheff wednesday on loan, I have had a look online and there is no official report of it as yet any-one else heard anything about this one? :confused:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Striker Luke Varney has headed north for a month-loan loan spell with Sheffield Wednesday.

The 26-year-old will remain with the Owls until April 18, though he cannot play for them when the two sides meet at Hillsborough on April 11.

Varney's Rams career has been held up since the early part of 2009 because of niggling groin and illness problems.

He played for 90 minutes in the reserves' victory over Grimsby Town on Wednesday afternoon and has one goal in his nine first-team appearances since arriving from Charlton Athletic.

Derby boss Nigel Clough said: "Luke is lacking match fitness because he has been unavailable for most of the previous two months.

"He's been unlucky with illness and injuries and this move, which is for the next 28 days, gives him a chance to regain that fitness and sharpness before returning to us. Very similar to Liam Dickinson.

"Luke is still a part of our plans here, but what he needs now is games to get him back to where he and we want him to be."

[url=http://www.dcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270%7E1597394,00.html]http://www.dcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...1597394,00.html

At least it will get him match fit and we can then find out for sure if he is good enough for this level, he was great at Crewe - but so far not proven at this level. Clough has said today he wants to keep 4/5 front men - will Varney be one ?

To be fair on the guy he could be a decent player for us he's just not had a regular run in the side to show what he can do. We haven't had a settled team for months now due to injuries, it must have been tough for the guy coming on for 10 minutes here and there.

But then it's a case of who does he replace? I don't think theres any doubt that Hulse and Porter will be the front 2 next season with Commons and Davies as the creative players (still not sure where they will fit in either). I just think Varney is surplus to requirements and Jewell should never have signed him.

i live in sheffield an listend to bbc radio sheffiled and wednesday manager brian laws said that if he "varney" impresses they will look at him for the long term and was at the match saturday to look at him he had a clear cut chance on stroke of half chance 1on1 with the keeper but missed it i dont think derby would miss him they derby have hulse leading scorer porter recently signed villa and dickinson and dickinson has stated that he wants to stay at pride park next season and with the new board member i think derby should be looking at higher quality to get back in to the premier league .

All depends on if Sheff Wednesday are interested in signing him and Clough is willing to sell, need to see how he does for them on loan first. If he doesnt impress then he'l be at pre-season training with the rest of the Derby Team.

Archived