Ivan Toney

Gaspode

8 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

Peter Swann got banned for accepting a bribe and throwing a match not betting on games he wasn’t involved in don’t think that’s a fair comparison. I’m not condoning Toney he was a fool,but you get less of a ban for attacking a referee 

Yes, you are completely right, it was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment.  From what I read of that it sounds like the game they were going to throw they were loosing in fair and square, so the outcome remained unchanged…

i don’t think I have seen a pro game referee (in the uk I hasten to add) that has been truly “attacked”  Pushing and shoving and handbags at dawn are less serious offences in my book - but still need an appropriate sanction of course.  Anything more is not a football offence and more a matter for the police and the courts.

“your mileage may vary” of course…

30 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

Yes, you are completely right, it was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment.  From what I read of that it sounds like the game they were going to throw they were loosing in fair and square, so the outcome remained unchanged…

i don’t think I have seen a pro game referee (in the uk I hasten to add) that has been truly “attacked”  Pushing and shoving and handbags at dawn are less serious offences in my book - but still need an appropriate sanction of course.  Anything more is not a football offence and more a matter for the police and the courts.

“your mileage may vary” of course…

The worst example of bullying a referee I’ve seen was when virtually all the Man Utd team chased after Andy D’urso ( I think) because he had the temerity to give a penalty to Middlesbrough at Old Trafford. They got fined they should have been docked points. I managed a junior side from u8s to u18s some of the abuse the refs received (especially the younger ones) was disgusting it needs stamping out of the game at all levels. There as been several serious assaults at non league level perhaps if the FA dished out proper punishment to the likes of Klopp it may help stop the abuse 

Anyway Toney was still an idiot I’m not saying an 8 month ban is wrong it just seems disproportionate to what other offences get punished 

23 hours ago, David said:

Other bans won't come close, we all know that. 

The question is, why are gambling bans punished so severely?

The only conclusion I can come to is, they don't want any kind of accusations of match fixing or booting balls out to raise the numbers of corners etc.

It's a valid concern where in isolation the ban looks pretty fair, however they have to bring other bans inline and show a much tougher stance against issues like racism otherwise the whataboutery will get louder.

Slightly off-topic I know, but I think it's crazy that anyone is allowed to bet on the number of corners or the time of first throw-in etc. We all remember Le Tissier being clear they were all at it during his time. It would help the integrity of all sport if this stuff that doesn't impact the result was banned. I consider it racist that Pakistan bowler Salman Butt was jailed for deliberately bowling no-balls, which would have minuscule impact on the outcome, but Le Tissier can openly talk about having bet on first throw-in and tried to engineer that. 

We have the Sky Bet leagues, gambling ads on shirts and TV and arouund the grounds, but it's a massive ban if a player is infuenced and bets on a game? The whole thing is beyond ridiculous.

As far as I know we don't know what stuff Toney bet on, and if it was his own matches or other people's, but he's clearly ill. In which case I'm not confident this will be his last "offence".

Edited by Carl Sagan