Ivan Toney

Gaspode

Ivan Toney has been suspended from all football and football-related activity with immediate effect for eight months, fined £50,000, and warned as to his future conduct for breaches of The FA’s Betting Rules.

5 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

What a total idiot a really talented football who doesn't possess a brain. I would have made it more. Deserves everything he gets. Hope Brentford aren't paying him whilst suspended. 

The amount of bets suggests it’s an addiction. It’s easy from the outside to call this careless, idiotic behavior.

But addictions are addictions. It goes beyond doing it for potential earnings. Gambling, just like alcohol, smoking or drug addiction, is an illness.

15 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The amount of bets suggests it’s an addiction. It’s easy from the outside to call this careless, idiotic behavior.

But addictions are addictions. It goes beyond doing it for potential earnings. Gambling, just like alcohol, smoking or drug addiction, is an illness.

So gamble on the Dogs, Gee Gees, flies climbing up a window. Plenty of ways to lose money "safely"!

21 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

What a total idiot a really talented football who doesn't possess a brain. I would have made it more. Deserves everything he gets. Hope Brentford aren't paying him whilst suspended. 

why has this riled you up? It's not criminal. It's not drink-driving, drugs, fighting, stealing, sexual assault/abuse, racism, domestic violence or fraud.

If the football authorities feel so strongly about betting on football matches, perhaps they shouldn't have sold their soul to betting companies for sponsorship.

I agree(d) with Joey Barton's sentiment when he got done for it, the level of hypocrisy is shameful.

Betting on games you're involved with... yes... throw the book at him, however, he's got a problem and they should be helping him, not furloughing him for the rest of 2023!

Interesting to see how this compares to bans for racism, violent behaviour or off field offences. And in a sport that welcomes every penny the betting industry throws at them. He might be a bit of a twonk but this is disproportionate beyond belief. My only caveat is that I say this with no evidence that he was betting on games he was playing in.

Edited by BaaLocks

Peter Swan got an 8 year ban in the 60’s so this is nowt, I could understand it back then, players were paid relatively normal wages, so the temptation to fill out your pay packet was much higher.

Toney has no excuse, the addiction thing doesn’t wash - bet on the dogs, the boat race, Major League Baseball, but not the sport you are (highly) paid to play in.  Just plain stupidity and lack of personal responsibility…

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Interesting to see how this compares to bans for racism, violent behaviour or off field offences. And in a sport that welcomes every penny the betting industry throws at them. He might be a bit of a twonk but this is disproportionate beyond belief. My only caveat is that I say this with no evidence that he was betting on games he was playing in.

Other bans won't come close, we all know that. 

The question is, why are gambling bans punished so severely?

The only conclusion I can come to is, they don't want any kind of accusations of match fixing or booting balls out to raise the numbers of corners etc.

It's a valid concern where in isolation the ban looks pretty fair, however they have to bring other bans inline and show a much tougher stance against issues like racism otherwise the whataboutery will get louder.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

This is the problem fot Toney now. And probably forever. People will make jokes about him and his addiction. They will chant about him and distrust every miss.

He's going to have to be a super-strong human being to come back anywhere near the player he has been.

11 hours ago, Andrew1 said:

Peter Swan got an 8 year ban in the 60’s so this is nowt, I could understand it back then, players were paid relatively normal wages, so the temptation to fill out your pay packet was much higher.

Toney has no excuse, the addiction thing doesn’t wash - bet on the dogs, the boat race, Major League Baseball, but not the sport you are (highly) paid to play in.  Just plain stupidity and lack of personal responsibility…

Peter Swann got banned for accepting a bribe and throwing a match not betting on games he wasn’t involved in don’t think that’s a fair comparison. I’m not condoning Toney he was a fool,but you get less of a ban for attacking a referee