Porter could be back

Stimacked

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby County could be boosted by the return of striker Chris Porter in tomorrow's npower Championship match at Swansea City.

A niggling hip problem has left the 26-year-old in the treatment room since the end of August.

The former Bury, Oldham and Motherwell frontman has an impressive return of seven goals in 14 league starts for the Rams since his arrival at Pride Park in January 2009, but has been desperately unlucky with injuries.

He trained with the rest of the Derby squad on Friday morning, and could be amongst the substitutes at the Liberty Stadium providing he suffers no adverse reaction to the injury.

Ironically, he scored his first Derby goals in the 2-2 draw between the two sides in March 2009 at Pride Park.

"Chris trained today and is in the squad," manager Nigel Clough told dcfc.co.uk.

"If he's alright on Saturday morning he will be on the bench at Swansea, especially as we're a few players short at the moment."

Porter's return is even timelier as on-loan striker Shefki Kuqi is unavailable to face his parent club at the Liberty Stadium.

The 33-year-old has quickly established himself in Clough's starting XI, and opened his goalscoring account for the Rams in last Saturday's 5-0 win over Crystal Palace.

Said Clough: "Shefki is a big loss for us but it gives others a chance to show what they can do.

"Luke Moore and Ryan Noble are battling it out to replace Shefki, which is healthy."

Also missing for tomorrow's game is American youngster Conor Doyle, who picked up a knock in training this week.

Clough revealed: "Conor took a knock whilst training, so he won't be involved.

"He was due to return to the United States over the weekend as he hasn't been back since he arrived on trial in July.

"As he won't be able to play at Swansea we've told him to get off early and come back refreshed next week."

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~2171796,00.html

I didn't see your post honest, I had it ready to go when my phone went, came back and clicked reply.

His hip won't take the coach trip to Wales anyhow so I think your comment still kinda stands.

I hope they're taking loads of cotton wool to wrap him up in.

I wouldn't chance him till he's had a few reserve games and come through them unscathed otherwise we might be back to square one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived