Re: Mendy

SantosHalper

Hello everyone,

I'm another recent emigrant from the DET forum. I've been lurking for a few days, but this forum seems perfectly friendly, and there are many familiar faces here too.

Apologies if this topic has appeared earlier.

Anyway, I was reading the Guardian blog on how loan players are doing so far, and there has been at least one post saying how well Mendy has been doing at Tranmere. Here's the link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/football-league-blog/2010/oct/07/football-league-loans-directory

My Tranmere supporting friends have also been very complimentary about him.

I was a little disappointed when he went out on loan, but hardly devastated. I think that he might be ready for some first-team football with us next season. What do others think?

By the way, this is my first post here, thanks for the welcome that has been extended so far to other first-time posters.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello again Santos!

I keep saying it but I am due for an interview with him, and from speaking to him every so often he does seem to be enjoying it. A few of their fans that i've spoken to seem to like him, and their manager has taken a shine to him too.

The only thing that could be the problem is that he's a double of Addison. A young, powerful midfielder who can also play centre-back. It's not often that clubs keep hold of two younger players in the same position. And with most people I imagine preffering Addison, he might need to leave for League One for a permanent stay.

I'm pleased that he's out getting first team football, it's a huge waste for him to sit in the reserves. I hope that we keep him on for a bench role next season, but my gut feeling is that he'll be let go when his contract ends.

Hello again Santos!

I keep saying it but I am due for an interview with him, and from speaking to him every so often he does seem to be enjoying it. A few of their fans that i've spoken to seem to like him, and their manager has taken a shine to him too.

The only thing that could be the problem is that he's a double of Addison. A young, powerful midfielder who can also play centre-back. It's not often that clubs keep hold of two younger players in the same position. And with most people I imagine preffering Addison, he might need to leave for League One for a permanent stay.

I'm pleased that he's out getting first team football, it's a huge waste for him to sit in the reserves. I hope that we keep him on for a bench role next season, but my gut feeling is that he'll be let go when his contract ends.

Hi Alex, thanks for remembering me! I hope you are well.

It's easy to forget about Miles, it's been so long now. I agree that maybe there might be some duplication there. It'll be a while until Addison is fit, so we'll have to wait and see, but I seem to remember many people (including myself) being excited by Mendy.

But I don't think we'll get rid of him so soon. If we allow him this time to develop (and by all accounts he's doing well in League 1), then he'll come back to us ready for the bench.

And let's face it, next season we'll be looking for a tough-tackling midfielder to play alongside Bailey.

Nice to see the lad doing well, didn't do so well in the game he got up here (Grimsby).

With Addison being the obvious replacement for Savage when he retires (get in there!), I don't believe that we haven't got room for him in the squad. We have no backup as it is for those positions, see where we are around April and give the lad a few games.

I'm not sure that Nigel sees them in the same way. He seems convinced that Addison is a centre-back, while he seems to see Mendy as a midfielder. I can't imagine Mendy's wages are huge, so it's probably worth giving him another year to see how the loan spell(s) have benefitted him.

Agree with Bristol, Nige has stated he see's Addison as a centre back and not a midfielder so I think it is a none starter that he is the long term replacement for Sally Savage (although it is obvious to all Derby fans)

With Mendy I think he does deserve a go he has done well at Tramere and ppl can't keep saying he deserves a game because of that goal v Clay heads...

Alex W - You cant keep saying your going to have an interveiw mate just own up and say he has stood you up more than once or just make up an interveiw.....;)

Agree with Bristol, Nige has stated he see's Addison as a centre back and not a midfielder so I think it is a none starter that he is the long term replacement for Sally Savage (although it is obvious to all Derby fans)

With Mendy I think he does deserve a go he has done well at Tramere and ppl can't keep saying he deserves a game because of that goal v Clay heads...

Alex W - You cant keep saying your going to have an interveiw mate just own up and say he has stood you up more than once or just make up an interveiw.....;)

Actually I was the one who stood him up last week as I was ill ;)

It's hard to find a day where we're both free, he's not in Derby as much obviously with him playing at Tranmere.

People might have been disappointed at him going out on loan (even though he hasn't proved anything to make him push for the first team here) but he needs to go out on loan, he needs to learn and it will be good experience for him and any other player who goes out on loan.

I've watched him in the reserves and he was constantly told by fellow defenders where to be and what to do, so he needs to get the experience at a smaller club than being thrown in the deep end in the Championship

People might have been disappointed at him going out on loan (even though he hasn't proved anything to make him push for the first team here) but he needs to go out on loan, he needs to learn and it will be good experience for him and any other player who goes out on loan.

I've watched him in the reserves and he was constantly told by fellow defenders where to be and what to do, so he needs to get the experience at a smaller club than being thrown in the deep end in the Championship

I noticed that, when playing with Leacock, Deano was constantly making sure that Mendy was where he needed to be etc.

Hopefully he'll learn what to do and what not to do while at Tranmere, reserve football doesn't teach you much.

Archived