Home brew

Boycie

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Woodfords Werry just gone in the barrel should be ready in a couple of weeks.

My first attempt at home brew.

I'm looking to do some cider next, anybody done any cider?

(No white lightning references please)

im often doing pork in cider(ohh err mrs)

Woodfords Werry just gone in the barrel should be ready in a couple of weeks.

My first attempt at home brew.

I'm looking to do some cider next, anybody done any cider?

(No white lightning references please)

White lightning is the cause of my current horrendous hangover. But it's £1.70 for 1.5 litres, bargain.

• 1 month later...

My Wherry was ok I suppose, but the secondary ferm didn't produce any of it's own gas? I assume it wasn't kept warm for long enough?

Blasted it with some co2 to get it out, and it was a nice brew to be honest.

Doing IPA atm. Just barrelled it and hope it gasses up this time. I have pipe work heat trace heating tape wrapped around the barrel this time to give a steady 20 deg.

Kiss my face.

It should gas up during the ferment.

If its not got any life, and you've got a CO2 bottle, chill it (as cool as you can) and blast CO2 into it. Shake the keg up - the cold will encourage the gas to be absorbed into the beer. Keep adding more gas and shaking it up until its as lively as you want.

Then, obviously, allow to settle before you serve.

• 1 month later...

Shouldn't need it really.

What do you use for kegs? If its the plastic cr*p things they sell in the supermarkets, I wouldn't bother. Steel cornelius style kegs are easier to clean, stack/store away easier, look nice and can be gassed easily. I got a bunch from the Britvic factory in Leeds - commercially they're about £30 each (cleaned and reconditioned) - Britvic knock them out for a fiver a throw, dirty as a Scouser's wife.

You'll need 3/8" pipe and quick disconnects, plus loads of cleaning stuff. You might go for primary & secondary regulators as well. Worth the effort though.

If I'd known, I could have given you loads of stuff but I flogged it all off for £200. Bargain really - 13gal boiler, fermenters, mashtun, JG fittings, disconnects, regs and 3 line flash chiller as well.

Archived