Referee Abuse

Beetle

Just wondered what we thought about the referee abuse issue in the media at the moment and how we could resolve it. My lad plays U11s and the behaviour of some of the parents towards young referees is shameful.

People blame it on top flight but I'm not sure. If that is the cause maybe we should let them ref the game completely from VAR in the PL and give all the players an ear piece, communicate to the crowd via the big screens.

I quit Sunday league football at 18. I love football and the passion it is played with. Abusing referees at youth level, especially from the parents is disgusting. No wonder when the young players become adults they treat referees like dog dirt. Learning from the moron mum or dad. I hated the way the refs got abused and the games could rarely flow because of all the fighting and refs petrified for their safety.

I remember playing a cup quarter final, we were winning 5-0 at home. Final 10 minutes. It should have been a great day for everyone involved. Our lad in midfield made a poor tackle near the end, badly timed and unfortunately the opponent had to go to hospital. No intent or malicious behaviour. An accident. He got a red card. No problem, go off the field and learn from the mistake. One of the parents of the opposition ran onto the field and threatened the lad who just got the red card. Screamed at him, called him every swear word in the book. He was a 14 year old boy, cried his eyes out. This horrible person then screamed and threatened to attack the referee. Match was abandoned but the result stood. And that happens far too often in amateur football.

Professional football needs an overhaul of player behaviour. I like the manager yellow and red cards, definitely keep them and enforce the rules. With players, it should be a maximum of 2 outfield players talking to the referee. Surrounding referees I’d send off the outfield captain for failing to control players. Swearing at officials is a straight yellow regardless.  That isn’t enforced properly. Anymore after that is a red card and 3 match ban.