Daddies Boy to play for Northern Ireland

Day

LEE Camp is to turn his back on England and play for Northern Ireland, after being snubbed by Fabio Capello.

The keeper's remarkable form was key to Nottingham Forest's third place finish in the Championship last season, with Camp keeping 19 clean sheets.

But, while many fans had been calling for the keeper to be given international recognition, Camp felt playing outside of the top flight would always be a preventative factor.

However, Capello called-up fellow Championship keeper Scott Loach and Blackburn rookie Frankie Fielding for the friendly against Hungary last month.

And Camp has now decided his England chance will never come – and has made himself available to play for Northern Ireland instead.

"They will push Scott Loach through, which is fantastic for him," said Camp. "I like Scott and I have a good relationship with him.

"But I don't think they will be looking for another keeper from the Championship now.

"I think I have written off my chances now, anyway. I probably did that a long time ago, by being too outspoken.

"But I am going to go and play for Northern Ireland instead. I qualify through my grandfather, who was born in Belfast.

"The process has started, I have produced a birth certificate and things are moving along.

"If might take a couple of months, but hopefully I will be approved to play for them."

Camp is critical of the way the England regime has treated keepers when they have made mistakes in the past.

And he hopes they do not 'destroy' Watford keeper Loach's career in the same way.

"I wish him every success," said Camp. "But they have destroyed Scott Carson, with the way he was treated.

"I hope they back Joe Hart now if he has a sticky run of form.

"Because when Paul Robinson had a bad patch, he found himself on the sidelines.

"And Robert Green made a mistake in the World Cup and he got destroyed. so I'd just like to see them keep faith with someone."

In the meantime, Camp hopes he can grace the international stage with Northern Ireland.

"I know both Nigel Worthington, from when I was at Norwich, and Fred Barber the keeper coach," said Camp.

"They have known about the situation for a while.

"And I thought to myself, why not? Because I don't think England is going to happen.

"The chance to play at international level is too good to turn down. With respect, they are not overloaded with goalkeepers.

"They have Maik Taylor, but he's 39 and isn't playing regularly. Perhaps there is a window of opportunity there for me. We will see."

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/forest/Forest-keeper-Camp-turns-England-favour-Northern-Ireland-chance/article-2658111-detail/article.html

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.nffcretail.com/chooseevent.aspx

You can find out on the above site. When I do go to Nottingham I drive the 300 + mile return trip same day. I take my boy with me when he's not training. I don't drink at Football matches & would not eat a pie from anywhere. It would only be too easy to find out how much a pint of beer is & a pie for that matter. But I go to matches for my enjoyment not to fit in with some expectation you may have. My next game is Portsmouth away on my boys birthday. Hope this helps.

Archived