Southampton sack Pardew and coaching staff

Hucknall Ram

Southampton have sacked manager Alan Pardew and his coaching staff following a disappointing start to the season.

Saints have won just one of their opening League One games - although that was an emphatic 4-0 victory at Bristol Rovers.

A statement on Saints' official website said: "Following a review of the current status in and around the first team, the club has decided that, to achieve its well known targets, it is essential to make changes to the first team management and coaching.

"Consequently, the first team manager, Alan Pardew; first team coach, Wally Downes; and goalkeeping coach, Stuart Murdoch, have been relieved of their duties with immediate effect. The club wishes them well for the future."

The 49-year-old led Saints to the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in March with a 4-1 win over Carlisle at Wembley and they started the season as firm favourites to achieve promotion to the npower Championship, although one win in their first three matches leaves them 14th in the table.

Saints are now on the lookout for someone to guide them out of the third tier of English football.

The statement from the club continued: "While we have commenced our careful evaluation of our candidates and longer term requirements, Dean Wilkins has taken on the caretaker role for the first team and he will be assisted by Martin Hunter, the under-21 coach.

"We recognise that frequent changes to the football management are unlikely to assist in the winning of trophies and promotions.

"However, we are taking these steps to achieve our aims, which we share with all supporters, to get promoted this season, and secure long term stability and progress for our football operations."

More to follow...

http://origin.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11700_6347922,00.html

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a joke 4 games into the season although it does seem that chairman don't seem to have patience nowadays due to the financial implications involved in this day and age and in this current financial climate you don't know how much banks are leaning on the clubs. Just one thought how many of you believe that if Nigels second name wasn't Clough would he still be in charge at Derby ?

What a joke 4 games into the season although it does seem that chairman don't seem to have patience nowadays due to the financial implications involved in this day and age and in this current financial climate you don't know how much banks are leaning on the clubs. Just one thought how many of you believe that if Nigels second name wasn't Clough would he still be in charge at Derby ?

his name is all he needs, to be fair he was a good player with a good footballing brain, he had a great dad who has surely passed some of his magic down to him, there,s an old saying that goes,-

you, can only p1ss with the ***** that you,ve got,

its getting near the transfer window now ,so lets see if the board have a bit of faith in young cloughs ability and let him show us all what he can do with the correct backing.

last season i was negative about the board, kriss commons etc, but its a new season and early days , if after xmas the board does not flex its muscles then i will join young rams side and BOARD OUT!

we will have to see, it was a bad decision to get rid of pardew at this early stage 20 games in then yes but not 4. I think clough is here to a certain extent to his name and a certain extent to the fact he unlike many other managers is happy to say nothing about the current situation. He makes subtle hints but nothing else and if he said " I have no money the pot is empty" I would have more respect for him because he had the guts to say the truth.

I'm not calling for Nigels head as i think we've played some nice stuff this season without just reward but on Saturday near where i sit when the equaliser went in the amount of people that were calling for him to go shocked me a bit considering we'd just made the league leaders look quite ordinary.

not being funny, but why has the thread gone to our manager and board? This is about Southampton and Pardew.

The fact they was one place off the play-offs with a 10 point deduction and winning the JPT as well, makes the sacking very questionable. You think the fact they sacked the coaching staff as well may make you think there is more that meets the eye.

i am slowly loosing the will to live.

YR just an observation mate, you are very quick to slate what someone has put on here if you dont agree with BUT and it is a big but if anyone dares to disagree with you and have opinions that differ from yours god help them.

thats me done because i just cant be bothered anymore every bloody thread on here is turned into a dig at the club, we should all think ourselves lucky we aint still got Maxwell or the 3 amigos at the helm anymore.

Lyndsey,dont be harsh.I think Yr has concerns which is a good thing.It is passion.We all love the club.Some are happy with the current situation,some (myself included) arent.It is easy to get carried away behind a laptop.

Dont go ....we love the female view point.

Southampton and Pardew, strange coming off a 4-0 win. Fans didn't sound best pleased either, owner dies and Pardew sacked just a couple of weeks later, was the appointment of Pardew down to the owner and the chairman didn't agree?

Either way crazy to get rid now, Pardew will be odds on favourite for the next Championship job.

Lyndsey,dont be harsh.I think Yr has concerns which is a good thing.It is passion.We all love the club.Some are happy with the current situation,some (myself included) arent.It is easy to get carried away behind a laptop.

Dont go ....we love the female view point.

I think the trouble is that every thread turns into anti yanks, I think that's what Lyndsey trying to get at, I even pointed this out earlier in this thread, I like YR and his "views", diffence in views is what a forum is about. But for it to boil over into every thread does get to a point where say enough is enough

Archived