Arrest over Pakistan-England Test cricket 'betting scam

Day

Who says they not in bad financial problems? more money means more debt often than not, just because you have money doesnt mean spend above there means. There even reports now that there have been threats towards the players families, just unsure if these threats are made from fans after the scandal or made by the people behind the bribs to make sure the layers go though with it

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players at County level get an average of £40,000 a year. Add to that their relatively small test match fees and sponsoship deals and they are on decent money. But its phenomenal like it is in football. They probably get paid the same as your average League 1 player

it is greed,pure greed.They should never play cricket again.It is as simple as that.It is wrong to try and make excuses for their actions.

It is greed. There's no denying it. But if someone offered you a year's salary to do something that won't really affect the outcome of the game, are you telling me you wouldn't be tempted?

If somebody offered me money to deliberately lose a game for Derbyshire (darts) I would refuse point blank.I consider it an honour to represent my county,and I wouldnt be able to look at any of my team mates in the face,if I deliberately lost a match.

If somebody offered me money to deliberately lose a game for Derbyshire (darts) I would refuse point blank.I consider it an honour to represent my county,and I wouldnt be able to look at any of my team mates in the face,if I deliberately lost a match.

It isn't the same though. When you lose by an innings, 3 no balls make no difference to the result. I'm not condoning what they did, but can understand their motives for doing it

of course 3 no balls make a difference.People will question every wide,no ball,dropped catch,wild swing etc.As soon as you start it doesnt stop as you are in the arms of the corruptors.

Pakistans test against Australia is now under question,where Pakistan were in a seemingly unbeatable position but whilst using some ridiculous fielding positions,contrived to lose.

These people are scum,and the sooner they are rooted out of the game the better.

• 2 weeks later...

Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Ijaz Butt has made even more sensational claims as he tries to defend his country's cricketers by claiming England players accepted "enormous amounts of money" to lose Friday's one-day international at The Oval.

Earlier on Sunday Butt voiced his perception of other authorities' lack of regard for his organisation and his country, but it was his allegation concerning England which stood out.

He said on television in Pakistan: "There is loud and clear talk in bookie circles that some English players have taken enormous amounts of money to lose the match [the third ODI]. No wonder there was such a collapse."

When asked whether the PCB had any proof of the allegations regarding English players, Butt responded with a question: "Did you ask the other people who made allegations against our players whether they had any proof? What did they say?

"We have thought about this properly and we have positive proofs here before us just like they say they have also."

The England and Wales Cricket Board are aware of the claims by Butt. They have yet to respond and are considering whether to react.

The remarks come with two matches remaining in the one-day international series, today at Lord's and on Wednesday at the Rose Bowl.

they dont blame the english in any way, they had the same thing with the pakistan team a couple of seasons ago, they are hoping it disrupts the english just enough to lose the ashes.

eveyone knows the pakistanis are cheats, i hope allah rewards them well lol

well we won the series, and quite comfortably in the end too

the icc should take serius action if, ifraz butt cant back his claim about the england players then they need to make him leave his seat of power.

the ecb has done nothing but help the pakistani team, by arranging games for them, and helping during the crisis, to act like he did was disgracful.

full credit for the english (and south africans/irish) lads for carrying on, even when they didnt want to.

lets hope the series hasnt disrupted the england side to much for the ashes, bring on the convicts!

Archived