What's eating up my RAM?

Perky1106

:mad::mad:

My computer has gone so slow recently. So slow that it now struggles to browse the web, load a website with more than a few pictures on and YouTube constantly jitters too.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium and have 2Gb of RAM.

It's not been this slow until now. But something is eating up the little of what's left of my RAM. Windows Vista (which I hate) already wastes mosts of it. I've tried getting rid of Google Desktop but it's still slow.

Help please.

:frown:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you can afford it upgrade to Windows 7, my laptop with a lower spec is running a hell of alot faster than the desktop with Vista.

When the loan comes through (urgh queue student jokes :rolleyes:) I'm going to see if I can get my laptop upgraded to 4GB Ram with a HD Graphic cards.

My laptop was very cheap and it's been a great friend to me for the last two years but if I don't upgrade or get Windows 7 then Vista will slowly kill it.

I should be able to get a copy of Windows 7 but I won't tell you where. ;)

So does Windows 7 actually eat up less RAM or is it just a better made OS?

:mad::mad:

My computer has gone so slow recently. So slow that it now struggles to browse the web, load a website with more than a few pictures on and YouTube constantly jitters too.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium and have 2Gb of RAM.

It's not been this slow until now. But something is eating up the little of what's left of my RAM. Windows Vista (which I hate) already wastes mosts of it. I've tried getting rid of Google Desktop but it's still slow.

Help please.

:frown:

don't know much about vista but Server 2008, which is based on vista, still has task manager - that should tell you what is using all your RAM. check your page file is configured correctly - right size, and if you have 2 hard drives (not one partitioned, it has to be 2 for best results), put the page file on a different drive to the OS. defragmenting should improve things, and if you look at what starts up on reboot, decide what is irrelevant to you and uninstall it. Then buy 7 :)

Archived