Burton v Derby Bass charity match

vicky-27

We won 3 -1

Varney got 2 , David martin the other and Varney missed a pen

Team : Deeney, Mills, Hendrick, O'Brien, Moxey, Abalimba, Pringle, Bowen, Langford, Martin, Varney.Subs: Atkins, Connolly, Mendy, Garton, Buxton.

Daveo i tried to post it on matchdaythread but im barred :frown: can you move it please.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby County lifted the Bass Charity Vase for the first time since 1996 with a 3-1 victory over Burton Albion in the final of the competition this evening.

The first-ever winners of the Bass Charity Vase in 1890 came from behind to triumph in the competition for the 17th time in their history.

James Ellison's penalty at the start of the 2nd half gave Burton the lead, but Luke Varney, who had earlier missed a penalty of his own, scored a quickfire brace after the hour to put Derby ahead.

The gloss was put on the victory soon afterward as Dave Martin's superb solo goal wrapped up the win.

Manager Nigel Clough was watching from the stands and he was also handed a welcome defensive boost as Jake Buxton came off the bench to feature for the first time in pre-season after injury.

Derby started very brightly and Martin got a shot away within 60 seconds, but a Burton defender threw his body in the way to clear.

From the resultant corner Varney met Martin's delivery with a firm header, but he wasn't able to direct the ball goalwards.

The early pressure from Derby was constant, with Moxey having a goalbound effort blocked and Varney shooting straight at Platt in the Burton goal.

After riding that spell of pressure Burton found their feet and long-range efforts from Adam Bolder and Jack Dyer were only just off target.

Derby were presented with a golden chance to break the deadlock on 42 minutes when they were awarded a penalty after Moxey was brought down in the area.

But Varney blasted the spot-kick high over the crossbar

He almost made amends with a neat turn and shot on the edge of the box just before the interval, but again he shot over.

The 2nd half started slowly but burst back into life on 53 minutes when the home side were awarded a penalty after a foul by Hendrick on Phillips.

Ellison kept his cool to send Deeney the wrong way and give the Brewers the lead.

Phillips could have doubled Burton's lead and put distance between the two sides a few minutes late but Deeney denied him with a fine one-handed save.

That save proved crucial as just after the hour Varney collected the ball inside the area and unleashed a ferocious volley into the roof of the net to bring Derby back onto level terms.

Three minutes later Varney had his second goal of the game as Derby took the lead for the first time.

Martin's low shot was palmed out by Platt straight into the striker's path and he slammed the ball into the net from close range.

On 68 minutes Derby edged further ahead when Martin set off on a mazy solo run from the left, beating two defenders before curling a right-foot shot into the top corner.

It was a moment of real quality from the summer signing from Millwall, displaying a good turn of pace and neat control before expertly finding the back of the net.

The Rams immediately introduced Buxton into the game after Martin's strike, his first appearance of pre-season after a groin operation at the start of July forced him to miss the opening four weeks of pre-season training.

Derby's quality was really showing and Varney almost completed his hat-trick with ten minutes left but he shot just wide.

Hi guys i'm new to this site usually on the mad site.

My thoughts on last night.

I thought we did ok, Burton were definately up for it, Varney took his goals well, Bucko looked good when he came on. The young lad Langford definately has a bit of quality, despite being marked at times unfairly by Bolder. Martins goal was sublime, and the other triallist Bowery worked tirelessly on the wing, so all in all a good night, and money raised for good causes too!

Hi guys i'm new to this site usually on the mad site.

My thoughts on last night.

I thought we did ok, Burton were definately up for it, Varney took his goals well, Bucko looked good when he came on. The young lad Langford definately has a bit of quality, despite being marked at times unfairly by Bolder. Martins goal was sublime, and the other triallist Bowery worked tirelessly on the wing, so all in all a good night, and money raised for good causes too!

Good report mate.

Excuse the Admin on here, not welcoming you earlier.

Welcome, Derby Mad? I've heard they get a bit like that on there?

Archived