Pride Park to stage benefit match for former Rams star

Day

PRIDE Park is set to stage a star-studded benefit match for Derby County star Nigel Callaghan, who is undergoing chemotherapy.

The 47-year-old ex-winger's bowel cancer was caught in time because he was having regular examinations due to suffering arthritis.

Despite the tumour's successful removal, he is having to have six months of chemotherapy to make sure the cancer is gone.

During his treatment he will not be able to work – a problem he has said will leave him struggling for cash.

But Derby County is now understood to be making Pride Park available this summer for a charity match between later 1980s Rams players and a Watford team from across the eras.

Organiser Lee Poulter, a friend of Nigel, said former Rams defender Paul Blades, forward Phil Gee, midfielder Craig Ramage and Welsh international midfielder Geraint Williams were set to take part.

Children may also be able to take penalties against current Rams hero Robbie Savage.

Nigel said the efforts of Derby County had made him realise "how much people thought well of him".

He said: "The support I've had from Derby County and from Watford has just been incredible.

"It looks like the two managers I worked with for longest, Graham Taylor, at Watford, and Arthur Cox, at Derby, will be taking control of the two teams.

"I'm really looking forward to it."

Nigel said he had been having chemotherapy for two months, which had left him feeling tired.

He said: "You don't so much feel sick because they give you tablets and injections to counteract that but it plays havoc with your bowels."

Mr Poulter, 44, of Allestree, said he was delighted that Derby County had got so strongly involved.

He said: "My original plan was to hold it at Rolls-Royce and maybe 1,500 to 2,000 would come along but this will be much bigger.

"It's making people more aware of bowel cancer. People playing in Nigel's era weren't on the money they are today."

Nigel, who made 100 appearances in two spells for the Rams between 1986 and 1989 and on loan in 2000, had been taking tablets for rheumatoid arthritis.

The medicine meant he had to have regular blood tests and it was one of these checks that led to his cancer being detected in mid-November last year.

In January, Nigel, now a disc jockey, had successful surgery on the tumour but doctors said he would need chemotherapy.

He was unable to work after the operation and his latest treatment means he has to take another six months off.

Nigel was 17 when he made his debut for Watford in 1980 and was involved when the club won promotion from the Second Division in 1982.

In February 1987, Derby paid £140,000 for him to help give them a final push towards the Second Division title which they won that year.

As the player most likely to create a goal, Callaghan played a part in Derby's survival in the top league in 1988-89.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Pride-Park-stage-benefit-match-Rams-star/article-2092230-detail/article.html

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now whilst i'm sorry the lads got cancer, but forgive me, so do a hell of a lot of other people in this world.

He was paid well, at the time, certainly more than the fans watching him. Now he's skint. Ok, todays stars get mega bucks. But so do I compared to sparkies 30 years ago.

Now if this match was for raising money for cancer research, fair enough, but to go towards helping him personally? What about the poor beggers on the breadline? They can't arrange benefit matches.

Feck me, he left us to get more money at Villa FFS!

Sorry, call me a sick barsteward, but the whole thing takes the piss.

As for Nigel, I liked him as a player and he was my favourite. But I did see him in Kavos in Corfu when he was DJ'ing, and he had no time to talk to anybody, and strolled into restaurants and left without paying.

He's had more than enough hand outs and favours due to him being an ex pro.

I'm not going to the match, I wish him well in his recovery, as do I anybody unfortunate to get Cancer.

• 4 weeks later...

Derby County will be hosting a benefit game for Rams legend Nigel Callaghan in September.

47-year-old Callaghan is suffering with bowel cancer and the club will stage a benefit game at Pride Park on Sunday 12th September, kicking off at 1pm, with Derby legends facing Watford legends.

Winger Callaghan turned out for both clubs in his playing career, beginning his career with the Hornets in 1980 before moving to the Baseball Ground 1987, where he was part of Derby's title-winning side to the top flight in the 1986/87 season.

He was an ever-present the following season, scoring 4 goals in 40 appearances before leaving to join Aston Villa in 1989. He rejoined both clubs on loan in 1990, as well as having a brief stint with Huddersfield Town in 1991 prior to playing his football in South Africa with Hellenic FC.

A number of high profile legends have already confirmed their attendance on the day, including former England and Watford manager Graham Taylor, former England stars Peter Shilton, Luther Blissett and John Barnes.

All funds raised on the day will go to Nigel Callaghan, the Bobby Moore Cancer Research and Lewis Mighty.

Tickets are now available to purchase for the game, costing £10 for adults, £5 for concessions and adult season ticket holders can purchase their tickets for £8.

These can be purchased from the Ticket Office in person, by calling 0871 472 1884 or by logging on to wearederby.com (not season ticket holder discounted tickets).

Now, I've said my piece on this already. But I see there's 2 other causes that will benefit from this match.

plus the God, who is Stimac will be playing. That's worth £12 just to see him strut around the park again.

Even though he fecked off to West Ham for more money with paulo.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived