are you shitting me??

derbydan

A shopping centre has installed new "squat" toilets for Asian customers after bosses went on a cultural awareness course.

The Rochdale Exchange centre in the Lancashire town denied going "potty" with political correctness and dismissed suggestions of the "Islamification" of the great British toilet.

The centre, home to around 70 shops, said it was simply catering for the needs of many of their local Asian customers.

Rochdale is a town with a large Asian community and managers at the shopping complex regularly go on cultural awareness courses, according to the spokeswoman for the centre.

During the last course bosses at the shops suggested the idea of hole in the ground-type squat toilets to their Asian trainer on the course and there was an enthusiastic response, the spokeswoman said.

As the award-winning shopping complex was to refurbish its existing 14 toilets, it was decided to convert two of them, one for males and one for females, into squat toilets.

The new toilets, also known as a Turkish toilet or Nile pan, require users to squat above them, rather than sit.

They are common across many parts of the globe but rarely seen in Britain, which has a strong heritage of pioneering lavatorial invention.

A spokeswoman for the centre said: "It is just about doing what any business would do. They are trying to meet the needs of the community they serve and this is part of it."

The new toilets open next week.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Against

Squat toilets require certain balancing skills. To those in the many "Western" cultures in which the squatting position is rarely used, using the squat toilet can be difficult or even impossible to use.

Use of the squat toilet can be difficult for the elderly and others with joint troubles or limited mobility. It can also be difficult for those recovering from leg injuries.

The washdown seated toilet (referred to as a "Flush Toilet" or "Western Toilet" in most media) retains fewer odors, due to its bowl being completely flushed at each use. The waste drops into a pool of water, trapping much of the odor under water, as opposed to Squat toilets, where the traps do not empty as completely when flushed

For

It is less expensive and easier to clean and maintain.[2]

It does not involve any contact between the buttocks and thighs with a potentially unsanitary surface.[3]

The absence of water in the bowl avoids the problem water splashing upwards.

Squatting might help to build the required exhaust pressure more comfortably and quickly.[4]

Squatting makes elimination faster, easier and more complete.[5]

Elimination in squatting posture protects the nerves that control the prostate, bladder and uterus from becoming stretched and damaged.[6]

Squatting relaxes the puborectalis muscle which normally chokes the rectum in order to maintain continence.[7]

Squatting securely seals the ileocecal valve, between the colon and the small intestine. In the conventional sitting position, this valve is unsupported and often leaks during evacuation.[8]

For pregnant women, squatting avoids pressure on the uterus when using the toilet. Daily squatting helps prepare the mother-to-be for a more natural delivery.[9]

Squatting may reduce the occurrence or severity of hemorrhoids[1][10] and possibly other colorectal disorders such as diverticulosis

No one was really responding to Dan's post so I thought i would help him out as he was always fun to post with on the NEP ( steady Elvis ) I put the pro's & cons for the squat toliet system. The comment returned was ref

s#1t ( No Ball ) Please note to my credit i did not reply to GboroRam by saying you would know about squating you ovine orifice opener. or the OOO to the Derby faithful.

:D

Archived