Porter & Davies Injured

Day

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes i do have patience and i am willing to wait for premeirship football, and yes 15 million is a lot to be in debt but tbh i can't see us going anywhere i can see us declining a little even this season, savage a year older and he wont play every game like last season, when the americans came in they said they wanted us to be the next aston villa, and to be a top 7 team, tbh i just dont think they have that ambition, and they boast about season ticket sales ect, in 5 years time if we continue the way we are, a lot of people wont renew unfortunatly

we havn't strengthened the squad at all and this year is going to be tougher than last, last seasons championship was a weak one tbh, yes newcastle were there but anyone could have gone up, and teams down at the bottom were worse than usual this seaosn teams like millwall, leeds ect are going to be tough

Not much more this club can do while in debt like it is, if we do get the debt down to 15 mill i think that is great work from the new board in my opinion.

If someone told me we could wipe out the debt or reduce dramatically in the next couple of seasons or so and maintain a mid table position i would be very happy.

We all want success but with the debts we have that will be hard, lets just get them cleared, get new players when we can and we should really start to move forward.

I have seen so many negative comments about the squad but we really do have some ok players if we can keep them fit.

With Anderson and Barker i think we have close to the best central defensive pair in the championship, if we can keep Commons fit that would be the key for me has to how successful we are next season, strikers will always be a problem for us but i would really like to see a fit Porter.

Friday, April 02, 2010

CHIEF executive Tom Glick says Derby County are "in a very strong financial position" after the club's latest accounts were published.

The figures, which cover the year ending June 30 2009, show that the Rams posted a loss of £14.9m in that period – following relegation from the Premier League – but also reduced the club's debt and player wage bill significantly.

The debt came down from nearly £30m to under £23m in the 12 months up to the end of June last year – and Glick confirmed that the figure has since been cut further, to £15m, which is the mortgage on Pride Park Stadium.

Meanwhile, the amount spent on player's wages came down from £23m to £15.5m – and is now said to stand at £11.5m.

"The accounts filed take us up to the first year-and-a-half of our ownership of the club and, of course, we have had nine months in which we have kicked on since then," said Glick, who arrived at Derby in January 2008 when the club was bought by American company General Sports and Entertainment.

"The story we feel it tells is one of a company in a very sound financial condition.

"There will be some fans that are very curious about this and we welcome them to delve as deeply as they want into these accounts.

"For the fans who are just concerned about the football, the message I would send to them is that the club is in a very strong financial position."

Glick said the total investment made by the ownership group since they came to the club was more than £16m – with the possibility of more to come.

"Debts have been reduced substantially," he said. "These accounts show it down to £23m. In reality, it is now down to £15m, from £31m when we came in.

"We have invested heavily in players' wages. We ran one of the highest wage bills in the Championship last season and continue to do so this season.

"The only way to make all that possible is that the owners have had to invest their own money into the club.

"That investment is north of £16m so far already and they are prepared to invest more in order to keep the momentum up.

"Of course, people want a return on their investment and I don't think we are too far away from that.

"But what we don't want to do is lose momentum by cutting back in certain areas.

"If that means, in the short-term, that people have to invest additional capital, they are willing to do that. But I do see a day when that won't have to be the case."

Explaining the net loss of nearly £15m, which compared to a £1.8m profit the previous year, Glick said: "A lot of that loss is on paper and has to do with the advertised value of players and their contracts when they leave.

"So, if we buy, say, Claude Davis for a certain amount and then pay him up to go, we take a huge loss in terms of the value on the profit and loss figures but it doesn't necessarily impact on the income for that year."

It also takes into account the loss of income from the Premier League – television receipts alone more than halved from £32.2m to £14.9m as turnover went down from £48.6m to £31.3m.

Rams company secretary Malachy Brannigan said the club also expected to announce a loss this time next year – but a smaller one.

"It will be a loss next year but it will be a reduced loss in comparison to what we have had this year, as we get to grips with what has happened with Championship football and what has happened with parachute payments, as we bring our costs down and back in line," he said.

During the year up to the end of June 2009, the Rams reduced operational and administrative costs by £2.7m and kept their commercial income at the same level as in the Premier League.

The salaries received by the directors – those involved in the day-to-day running of the club in England, which included the now-departed Adam Pearson – totalled £747,000 but no dividend was paid out to shareholders.

"There hasn't been a dividend yet and we're not scheduled to pay any dividend to our North American owners," said Glick.

"In fact, it's the reverse. The money is coming from that side of the Atlantic into the club, to the tune of more than £16m invested in new equity, not loan capital."

Glick remains confident in the long-term plan to get the club back into the top flight – and stay there.

"What we're looking to do is build a club that can consistently perform at a high level," he said.

"That would be defined by ultimately getting promotion from the Championship back to the Premier League, then being able to shift gears seamlessly to retain that position.

"So it is a disciplined approach towards getting a better playing side, as well as to build a commercial engine that can produce more self-generated income that is not reliant on what the League gives every team, to continue to give us a competitive advantage.

"And we know that is happening. We have been able to maintain our commercial income at the level it was at when the club was in the Premier League.

"We know we are generating more than almost every club in the Championship right now and even more than some Premier League clubs. That is because we have worked very hard at it over the last two years.

"We see the ability to continue to optimise that and that will benefit Derby County in the long-run.

"This time next year, I think you will continue to see a club that is growing its self-generated income, which is continuing to invest more than the average club into players' wages and is looking to build a long-term success story.

"And, hopefully, we will be able to talk about a play-off season, or even a promotion season."

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Glick-reveals-accounts-says-Rams-sound-footing/article-1964858-detail/article.html

there is no way we have invested more than the average club tbh, and yes we do ahve to be patient but like i have said before i didn't believe the debt to be monstorous and it isn't:D if they think we are going to have a play off or promotion season then they are in cloud cuckoo land

Goes to show the financial figures are pretty elastic. If buying a dud centre half for £3m makes your finances look good (you've got an expensive player) and then when you realise he's a walking disaster and pay him off, it makes the figures look bad (not only did you lose an expensive asset, you paid money to lose it).

Football finance is not simple.

Archived