Glass half full?

dilkie

So, 7 games in to what had been a miserable season so far. Week after week we have been subjected to watching awful sideways negative football. Then, last night comes along and we looked good. Really good at times. Waggy back and providing a target man, how we have missed that. Jozwiak looks like he could become a hell of a player. Knight, phenomenal again. Shinnie snapping at heals and breaking things up. Davies playing the captain and leading from the back, not sure about his passing though?. Marshall, could be the next Poom for us. Enjoyed seeing Kaz get a few minutes and be the battering ram, no pun intended, up top and give defenders a headache. Long and short is that before kick off yesterday my glass was half empty. Now it feels half full. On to Cardiff. COYR! ???

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dilkie said:

So, 7 games in to what had been a miserable season so far. Week after week we have been subjected to watching awful sideways negative football. Then, last night comes along and we looked good. Really good at times. Waggy back and providing a target man, how we have missed that. Jozwiak looks like he could become a hell of a player. Knight, phenomenal again. Shinnie snapping at heals and breaking things up. Davies playing the captain and leading from the back, not sure about his passing though?. Marshall, could be the next Poom for us. Enjoyed seeing Kaz get a few minutes and be the battering ram, no pun intended, up top and give defenders a headache. Long and short is that before kick off yesterday my glass was half empty. Now it feels half full. On to Cardiff. COYR! ???

I am confident over the coming weeks everything will come together, we will start playing some attractive football and start getting results....

I really wouldn't say we'd had "Week after week of awful sideways negative football" and that to me there's been a clear distinction between last season and this in how much further up the pitch we've been, and that we've genuinely tried to play a quicker game in most matches.

It has been pretty miserable results wise and forum wise though yes.

I think we've seen what was alluded to in pre-season interviews quite a few times, but up until the Norwich game we'd been trying to do this both without quality up front and without having anything solid to fall back on when we lost the ball. That was a mistake, definitely. Maybe we should have adopted the Norwich tactics sooner, but then that really would have been negative?

Wisdom was brought in against Blackburn because he attempts to move the ball forward more quickly and directly than Clarke, but people judged the quality of the passing (which is fair enough) rather than the intent. Idea positive, impact negative (although NOT the deciding factor)

Norwich game aside I haven't seen one match where our intent was just to soak up pressure.

There was clear attacking intent in large parts of of the Luton game, the first 10 & final 30 Vs Blackburn, the second half against Preston in the cup and the first half against Huddersfield. The design and desire wasn't for "awful sideways negative football", it just wasn't. Shots on target is not there only sign of positive intent!

There seems to be a trend of painting these games as entirely negative but I could genuinely see things in those performances which were further evident (based on people comments) against Forest, the Forest game wasn't a sudden improvement, it was a continuation of our gradual improvement, and we can get better still. 

I DON'T want to start arguing after yesterday but I DO have to wonder what would have happened if Forest had been given a last minute penalty via a dodgy reffing decision and beaten us. It's pure conjecture, but based on other matches, I suspect the result would have overridden every other aspect of the performance and we'd all have got angry again.

Archived