Duane Holmes, what is his best position?

Day

He is a good team player, and a good squad player. He would play wherever he is needed. 

right now I’d say right wing in a 4141. He seems slightly better suited to that role than knight. 
knight has a great engine but lacks the necessary pace and a trick to beat a full back. A more central role probably suits both of them better, but knight would get my vote ahead of holmes in a central role. He is brave, clever, scores goals, will drop in wherever he is required. He is a natural midfield player, and a great partner to allow sibley the freedom to break forward whenever he wants.

ultimately Holmes is a bit of a jack of all trades. But what a great option to have. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, cannable said:

Sounds about right from what I've watched. 

His best place for me is kind of how we used Wilson last season when we played him centrally. Only issue with that, is Sibley being in the team at the same time as Holmes in that role would leave us wide open.

He can do a job wide right and has good positional awareness and discipline, gives good protection to the full back, probably helps that he can also play right back. But he doesn’t have out and out winger pace, his speed is off the the mark.

To really benefit from his skill dribbling and interplay, he has to be central either in a 2, a 3 or the number 10 role in a 4-2-3-1. Big competition in those areas as he’s got to displace bird or Rooney in the deeper role, and knight and Sibley in the more advanced rolea. However, let’s not forget just before his injury he was our best player and on  that form (probably his best form in a Derby shirt) he would be an asset to any championship team. The question would be can he sustain that form for a season.

He wasn’t great post lockdown and probably not fully fit. On top form and fitness he’s first choice.

A great option to have and further evidence that with additions in wide areas and goalkeeper we have a half decent team and not miles away.

Archived