fabios's fab 23

derbydan

England's 23-man squad for the World Cup finals:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham).

Defenders: Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ledley King (Tottenham), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), James Milner (Aston Villa), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City).

Forwards: Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

matthew upson over dawson?? :confused:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You cannot mess around with the central pairing.

He's had a look at King and he did not get a look at Dawson in a match. He knows what he'll get from Upson.

I can understand the decision behind this.

Believe in Capello!!!!

Feel sorry for the Arsenal lad Walcott, but he's not done alot to give you a warm feeling in the nether regions has he?

He's feckin *****!

My summary of England squad

Goalkeepers

James - best of an average bunch

Hart - good back-up, great potential

Green - would have preferred Robinson

Defenders

Jamie Carragher - had a ***** season for Liverpool

Ashley Cole - one of the best LBs in the world

Rio Ferdinand - good defender when fit

Glen Johnson - our best RB but that is not saying much, more of a wing-back IMO

Ledley King - good defender but a crock

John Terry - horrible man but good defender

Matthew Upson - *****, would have preferred Dawson or even Sol Campbell

Stephen Warnock - good back-up at LB, solid season for Villa

Midfielders

Gareth Barry - good player - injury risk

Michael Carrick - good squad player

Joe Cole – regular in England team at last WC but he has lost his place in Chelsea team

Steven Gerrard - not had the best of seasons for club or country

Frank Lampard - our best central midfielder

Aaron Lennon - good pace could be a key sub player

James Milner - another good season for Villa

Shaun Wright-Phillips - not good enough

Forwards

Peter Crouch - can't argue with his England scoring record

Jermaine Defoe - good season for Spurs

Emile Heskey - past his best, never in Villa team. What happened the Fabio saying the players had to be starting regular for clubs.

Wayne Rooney - our only real world class player (I'd only rate Messi above Rooney ATM)

Cucumber's summary is pretty good.

Some very questionable selections.

I would have preferred Bent as a striker to Heskey.

Dawson would be better than Upson or even Huddlestone as another midfielder.

Keepers are average.

Midfield is good enough but we can't have any injuries.

Probably the best bunch of English born players we can send at the moment though.

Can't understand the inclusion of Wright Phillips, he's not in the first team at City anymore. Heskey shouldn't be going either, he won't score any goals and he's a forward. Not enough thought given to putting some youngsters in, my forecast we'll get eliminated before the semi finals.

I can understand the inclusion of Wright-Phillips, With us only taking 2 wingers I think it's safe to say Gerrard will start out on the left with Lampard and Barry in the centre and Lennon on the right. He's being taken as an impact player to come of the bench in place of Lennon. He might not score but he can take the defenders on and whip a ball in for Crouch and that will be his job.

think this explains the walcott decision apart from him having no end product-

The Arsenal winger was reportedly on the golf course when Capello called to tell him the bad news, and The Daily Express reports that he was so surprised, he initially thought the call was a hoax.

Most morning papers agree that Capello had doubts about Walcott's place after subdued performances in training, but was given chances to impress in both warm-up games against Mexico and Japan.

The former seems to have played a crucial role in Capello's decision, with the Italian reportedly annoyed that Walcott didn't follow his instructions at Wembley.

The Guardian reports that 'frustration has been welling within the management set-up at a perceived lack of discipline on the pitch in recent England games, with Walcott singled out for particular criticism in Capello's post-match analysis of the Mexico game last week.

'The player, it is understood, had strayed too often from a position on the by-line, veering from the Italian's instructions, with his delivery erratic from the wing.'

Other papers claim that Walcott was given a dressing down in front of the rest of the squad for his perceived indiscipline against Mexico. Despite this, he was given another chance, which he failed to take.

Publically at least, Walcott reacted with great dignity.

In a statement released as the squad was officially announced, Walcott said: "I am very disappointed not to be included in the squad going out to South Africa, but completely respect Mr Capello's decision.

"I would like to wish the team the best of luck and hope they have a really successful tournament."

The reason Heskey is included and will start is that Rooney scores alot more goals when Heskey plays.

If you are a defender it is easier ti mark Bent than Heskey.

If you asked Rooney who do you think he'd want up front with him, I believe his record is something like last 10 games with Heskey 9 goals last ten games without Heskey 2 goals.

Archived