09/10 End of Season Thoughts

Day

I think despite the negative team selections, tactics and mind boggling substitutions, credit where credits due Nigel has done the job he and the club said they would this season.

They didn't say it would be easy, they didn't promise promotion and true to there word it wasn't and we didn't.

The wage bill has been trimmed, we finished higher than last season and considering the injuries and "non-league Nigel's signings"I think 14th was an acceptable finish for us.

I'm still not his biggest fan by far, hopefully next season he can bring in the signings that will take us to the next level, the bar has been raised now, let's not go backwards.

As I say credit where credit is due, well done Nigel.

P.S please drop Savage.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we finished mid-table in a poor division. Average in a poor selection.

From the starting point, the constraints Nigel was working within and the other problems mentioned, its probably a fair place we've ended up. 4-1 against S*unthorpe probably was the low point and the season finished brighter than that.

I'm holding out to see what happens in the preseason before making any judgements. If we lose a few key players we'll look like we'll struggle; if we strengthen we could be on for something interesting next season.

Considering all the injuries we had at the start of the season as well - imagine if we had Barker for the whole season and Common's to, i think i said i would be happy with 15th at the start of the season, just hope next season Nigel plays players in their proper positions and plays 2 up front - and Sav needs to be captain he is the leader on and off the pitch.

Not a bad season really, given the constraints Clough has had to work with.

More questions than answers about next season really, it will be a weaker league as the clubs coming down this year are unlikely to go straight back up so there's an opportunity there. On the downside the club desperately need some more creative players ( can't see Commons carrying them all season), can Clough find them? I hope Clough continues to develop as a manager, particularly in the tactics department, I'd like to see Sav gradually phased out as the season progresses.

Good luck to all Derby fans hope you have a good summer, it's bloody hot here in China already but I'll be thinking of England.

we had bad luck injuries ect but it hasn't turned out that bad nige has delivered everything he said trimmed wage bill improved on last year had some good results against the 'in form' clubs and had some good signings too imo just need some good signings in the summer now to improve the squad cwyka would be great if we can get him been impressed every time i've seen him pringla had a good game too

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was relieved with 14th, still don't know how we did it.

Nigel appears able to pull out a win from nothing, if he can do it more consistantly then great. The flip side of that, is, does our league position look a little false and are we going to try and trim the wage bill still more.

Not sure we are good enough to do that.

Archived