Billy wants Rangers job

Day

Billy Davies has revealed that his long-term ambition is to become manager of Rangers.

Recently linked in some quarters with the Celtic job, the 45-year-old is currently seeking to guide Nottingham Forest into the Barclays Premier League via the play-offs.

Davies has revived Forest's fortunes this season and insists his immediate focus is to deal with unfinished business in the English top flight after a previous unhappy experience with Derby County.

The former Motherwell boss made it clear, however, that he would love to be in charge at Ibrox one day.

Davies grew up supporting Rangers and spent several seasons on their books as a player during the 1980s.

'I'm very open-minded with regards to the future,' said Davies. 'I would love to, no doubt, someday manage Glasgow Rangers. Whether it's in 10 years, 15 years - whatever.

'However, for now, I'm desperate to get back to the Premier League. I want to get back there with a club that will financially support its manager, a club that wants to compete at that level and doesn't want to change owners. That's my biggest challenge.'

His comments may raise eyebrows at a time when there is uncertainty over Walter Smith staying in the Ibrox hotseat beyond this summer, with the club facing continuing financial restrictions unless a takeover is completed.

Connections between Davies and the Celtic post always seemed unlikely, but his latest revelations will surely have ruled him out of any opportunity to replace Tony Mowbray at Parkhead.

Speaking to BBC Alba's Spors programme, he went on to reflect fondly on his time as a Rangers player despite a lack of first-team exposure. Davies left the club in 1987 to join Swedish side Elfsborg.

'For me, it was always a challenge being a young player joining Glasgow Rangers,' he said. 'You've got to be very patient at these big clubs to try to get some games. Hence the reason why a lot move on and take on another challenge.

'At Rangers, I never really got a great deal of challenge, although I think my 5ft 6in stature never helped me.'

The uncertainty over the manager's position at Ibrox will go a long way to being resolved next week. Chairman Alastair Johnston is due to fly to Scotland to discuss budgets with the Lloyds Banking Group and hold talks with Smith over his future

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1270175/Davies-dream-Nottingham-Forest-boss-Billy-reveals-ambition-land-Rangers-job.html#ixzz0mfJHzzvF

----------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting if Walter Smith does leave at the end of the season, if they want him it'l be bye bye Billy.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived