Ned's been smoking the wacky backy

Day

LEE Camp has the ability to become one of the country's top keepers, Ned Kelly predicted today.

The Nottingham Forest assistant manager compared the Reds number one with Shay Given, the man many rate as the best in the Premiership.

Kelly has worked with Given in the Ireland international squad and played with him at Sunderland.

And he believes Forest stopper Camp has the quality to forge himself as good a career as the 33-year-old Manchester City keeper.

"Look at Shay Given. I know him really well because I have played with him and worked with him," said Kelly.

"There is no reason why Campy cannot get to the same level that Shay is playing at. He is capable of that. He is a different class.

"He is by far the best keeper in this league.

"I have seen a lot of keepers in this league and I am yet to see a better one."

Camp, 25, cost Forest around £100,000 when he moved from QPR in the summer.

His influence has been such that Billy Davies has now handed him the captain's armband in the absence of the injured Paul McKenna.

"It was a bargain basement signing for us, to be fair, considering the amount of money we paid for him," said Kelly.

"Campy is a brilliant keeper, he is a great signing. He has taken on the armband brilliantly. He has been very proud to get it. He leads by example, without doubt. But Campy has been like that all season. He has made some great saves for us.

"He is an experienced player, he has played a lot of football and he has had some difficult times in the game.

"But he is a strong character, he is a confident kid and, in my opinion, he is the best keeper in the Championship.

"He will only get better, he is at a good age."

Midfielder Chris Cohen has also been impressed with Camp, who has kept 19 clean sheets his season, as Forest pushed their way into the promotion reckoning.

"Lee is always in good form, he fully deserves the accolades he gets. He is a great keeper," said Cohen.

"He is a bit arrogant. But you need that as a keeper, all the best keepers have that."

http://www.thisisnottinghamforest.co.uk/news/Forest-s-Camp-keeper-Premiership/article-1945202-detail/article.html

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived