The Academy Review Show

David

Owen Bradley is back in the RamsTV studio for special review show looking back at another successful year for the Derby County Academy. Joined by the club's Academy Director Darren Wassall, the pair review the Under-23s' campaign, how a number of the younger players will benefit from their loan spells and also hear from the Under-18s camp following their own successful year.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/05/the-academy-review-show

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched this last night and it wasn't particularly enlightening (for me anyway, but I guess I may watch/read more stuff about the youth than most), it just seemed to be very light, didn't really talk about anything in any depth - it was good to hear more from Delap about the U18s though.

They spoke to Zanzala and Lowe for what seemed to be a couple of sentences, which was disappointing for two reasons; Firstly, they basically just said "it's been great." and also neither have really got a great deal to talk about regarding their own involvements in first team fotball (actually on the pitch). I get that they've had (on-paper) success with their clubs but I was hoping to hear from Guy who's had probably the most impactful loan spell this season.

I think Darren's done very well to keep the U23s up this year, but it's not sustainable if we continue running the club and academy like we did last season. I hope whatever changes come, we shift back in the right direction and don't loan quite so many out - although that would require a hefty thinning of the senior squad, which I'm hopeful will come.

On 24/05/2018 at 10:35, SaintRam said:

I watched this last night and it wasn't particularly enlightening (for me anyway, but I guess I may watch/read more stuff about the youth than most), it just seemed to be very light, didn't really talk about anything in any depth - it was good to hear more from Delap about the U18s though.

They spoke to Zanzala and Lowe for what seemed to be a couple of sentences, which was disappointing for two reasons; Firstly, they basically just said "it's been great." and also neither have really got a great deal to talk about regarding their own involvements in first team fotball (actually on the pitch). I get that they've had (on-paper) success with their clubs but I was hoping to hear from Guy who's had probably the most impactful loan spell this season.

I think Darren's done very well to keep the U23s up this year, but it's not sustainable if we continue running the club and academy like we did last season. I hope whatever changes come, we shift back in the right direction and don't loan quite so many out - although that would require a hefty thinning of the senior squad, which I'm hopeful will come.

You kinda want the U23s to compete, with the best. But as long as they stay up, winnning the u23 league doesnt amount to much. Whats more important is the duty to ready the better of the players for a professionalk career at derby, or for a good price elsewhere. I am all in favour of loaning out to get league experience. Man Utd did that this season, and despite winning honours before, and getting to many fa youth finals, their U23s got relegated this season. Which led to Nicky butt coming out and defending it, saying that the duty to bring on these players with loan deals was more important than winning the u23 league, which i tend to agree with him on.

On 24/05/2018 at 10:35, SaintRam said:

They spoke to Zanzala and Lowe for what seemed to be a couple of sentences, which was disappointing for two reasons; Firstly, they basically just said "it's been great." and also neither have really got a great deal to talk about regarding their own involvements in first team fotball (actually on the pitch

There are full length interviews with these 2 on the DCFC website, the bits in the review show were just clips of the full interviews.

Archived