I'm really worried about what we do next. (A view from Florida)

Bob The Badger

I can remember watching a string of games like Boro away, Leeds Away and Norwich away and thinking, ‘Wow we are riding our luck’ - we really aren’t this good’

And I said it to friends.

I’m not sure any of those performances were much better than the ones now, other than one or two critical elements.

We were clinical.

The Boro away game was a classic example. They were all over us and then Carson makes a world class save and we go up the other end and Vydra scores, and the rout begins.

We were also defending better as a team.

At no time this season have our performances come even close to those under Clough toward the end and then McClaren taking over that team.

Anybody remember *that* goal we scored at Yeovil? Not the Bryson cracker but the one that involved 25 passes?

That was class.

I’m worried about Rowett, even though deep down I may even be more worried that we move on from him. 

I’m worried that he plays Palmer in front of the back 4 at Burton and then up front today.

I’m worried that he takes the leagues leading scorer off and risks damaging his confidence even more, yet brings on no credible alternative.

I’m worried that he thinks Nugent is way better than Darren Bent, a guy that just scored goals again and again and again.

I’m worried that he gave Thorne an extended contract when they guy clearly looked slower and more ponderous than before - which btw is perfectly normal when coming back from his type of injuries. It’s a lengthy process with no assurances. - So hold back from the offer and make him demonstrate he can deliver.

I’m worried that in spite of his own play as a center back (tough and resilient), he cannot instill that drive and desire in the players he is coaching.

I’m worried he and previous management teams have brought in a team of mercenaries, most of whom would be rather elsewhere.

I’m worried that not only does he not know his best team, he doesn’t even know his best formation.

But equally I’m worried that Mel parts company and yet again we have to start again.

Who will want this poisoned chalice?

I never wanted Nigel gone. It was clear in my mind that he was building something, albeit slowly, that could play football.

McClaren benefitted from great work by Nigel. He stood on the shoulders of a giant.

Part of me says, Rowett needs more time. 

But part of me says, he’s made rookie mistakes and that cannot be tolerated without a clearer vision of ‘where next?’

Even in the games we have won handily this season, we have had a large slice of luck or two and then Vydra has punished teams.

The ref made a few dubious decisions today, but in all honestly, Boro didn’t need luck, they looked like a very assured and confident team even though we beat them 3-0 on their patch last time.

Neither did Wolves, they are obviously and literally a league above us now.

Even Sunderland embarrassed us and Burton applied the Doc Martins to the testicles.

I’m leaning toward Rowett going, but football is littered by managers who stunk up the joint only to bounce back after learning from their mistakes. Alex Ferguson was a home loss away from being fired way back when.

So I dunno.

Fire Rowett and then try and find a decent manager who has the confidence to believe he can achieve what a litany of managers couldn’t. - That’s a tough ask.

Or stick with Rowett and let him do things this way.

Either way it’s a tough call and I just hope Mel gets it right because our form in 2018 would have had us fighting to avoid relegation if it had been through the entire season

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matey,

After living in Florida for 13 years and hearing the fireworks each night from Disney all you want is for them to STFU.

As for the beach, well we are about as far from the beach as it's possible to be in Central Florida living just west of Orlando. We're about 2 hours from a decent beach and a load of bull sharks ;)

Archived