Accidental formation

Beardmm

I watched with interest in the second half against Fulham at what could be the way forward in terms of formation. 

Thorne was badly off the pace in the first half and I’m not sure he has been fit since he came back into the squad. Looks a little overweight too. 

Palmer came on to replace him and I think Gary may have found the ideal solution - play with one holding midfielder in Huddz or Ledley and Palmer alongside. 

He ran into space, moved past people and opened up all sorts of gaps in Fulham’s midfield that has been dominant previously. Made us look more balanced, gave us additional impetus and we started moving the call quicker and better. 

First half we were outplayed and out-thought but the second half gave me a reason to be optimistic perhaps.....

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too was hoping GR would be brave and give this formation a whirl from the off to try and drag us out of the rut we're in. However after listening to his pre-match interview it would appear his cautious side will take precedence. Hopefully I've misread his intentions. Go on Gazza be brave and throw caution to the wind and get our season back on track.

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Beardmm said:

I watched with interest in the second half against Fulham at what could be the way forward in terms of formation. 

Thorne was badly off the pace in the first half and I’m not sure he has been fit since he came back into the squad. Looks a little overweight too. 

Palmer came on to replace him and I think Gary may have found the ideal solution - play with one holding midfielder in Huddz or Ledley and Palmer alongside. 

He ran into space, moved past people and opened up all sorts of gaps in Fulham’s midfield that has been dominant previously. Made us look more balanced, gave us additional impetus and we started moving the call quicker and better. 

First half we were outplayed and out-thought but the second half gave me a reason to be optimistic perhaps.....

Yes, I do get a bit fed up that we never seem to get the balance right in midfield. When Thorne was out injured we played without a CDM. Finally we brought in a CDM in Hud who has been ideal in that role. Not very mobile but thats not what hes in the team for. But meanwhile weve sold all our more mobile midfielders Hughes, hendrick and Bryson (loan), so we still have the wrong balance. We need more movement in midfield that's been obvious all season. Maybe Palmer isnt considered fully match fit but hes a lot more match fit than Thorne i would say.

Also Anya as an attacking full back is an option weve never really tried. He did well there too and must be an option when we are chasing the game.    

Archived