Derby(shire) - sights, sounds and stuff

Derbydave96

Evening all,

I often travel away from Derby for extended periods of time and so find myself somewhat out of the loop when I return. I thought maybe we could have a topic where people posted recommendations of events, their favourite spots, good pubs/bars, restaurants and the like (any other weirder suggestions also welcome!).

Would be appreciative of any suggestions as coming back to Derby is usually my down time and it would be great to have some ideas of things I can do to make the most of the time I am home, and hopefully the topic will help others in search of something to do in Derby also.

To get the ball rolling, I recently visited The Post House Derby and thought that it was a pretty nice place for an evening/afternoon with a different vibe to much of the City Centre.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Derbydave96 said:

Evening all,

I often travel away from Derby for extended periods of time and so find myself somewhat out of the loop when I return. I thought maybe we could have a topic where people posted recommendations of events, their favourite spots, good pubs/bars, restaurants and the like (any other weirder suggestions also welcome!).

Would be appreciative of any suggestions as coming back to Derby is usually my down time and it would be great to have some ideas of things I can do to make the most of the time I am home, and hopefully the topic will help others in search of something to do in Derby also.

To get the ball rolling, I recently visited The Post House Derby and thought that it was a pretty nice place for an evening/afternoon with a different vibe to much of the City Centre.

Good idea for a thread, what's the Post House and what's it like?

Dale Abbey is the type of place that would be crawling with tourists if it were down south. I've travelled a bit and never known a place like it. When I took my son he wanted to know where the rest of the monastery had gone. I coughed and pointed at the nice houses.

8 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Cheers, that does look interesting, maybe time to head over for an evening out!

Yeah, I'm sure the link will tell you more than I can, but it's a kind of up-market food court. There are 6 or so food outlets, doing a variety of food (around £10 a pop roughly), a pizza place, a tapas-esque place and a vegan place from memory. Then there are 3 bars, one doing just ale, one doing all the standard stuff and one doing cocktails, and there's a place that does a pretty good hot chocolate and the like (even do tipples of rum etc with them). 

Worth a look I would say.

12 minutes ago, dog said:

Dale Abbey is the type of place that would be crawling with tourists if it were down south. I've travelled a bit and never known a place like it. When I took my son he wanted to know where the rest of the monastery had gone. I coughed and pointed at the nice houses.

Not somewhere I've ever been - will have to check it out. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Derbydave96 said:

Yeah, I'm sure the link will tell you more than I can, but it's a kind of up-market food court. There are 6 or so food outlets, doing a variety of food (around £10 a pop roughly), a pizza place, a tapas-esque place and a vegan place from memory. Then there are 3 bars, one doing just ale, one doing all the standard stuff and one doing cocktails, and there's a place that does a pretty good hot chocolate and the like (even do tipples of rum etc with them). 

Worth a look I would say.

Yeah it looks nice, as someone who doesn't visit the city centre that much it is a decent chance to catch up with things, and plan a visit accordingly. 

Sith Happens

Shipley Park is an under rated gem in my opinion.

Maybe lacks the facilities to draw in bigger crowds but loads of great walks/cycling. The new coffee shop at lodge farm is really nice to call in at.

Can't beat Osbourne's pond for a great spot for a picnic.

Archived