Same Old, Same Old...

To identify a lack of (attacking) progression is not to be a "boo boy". I'm really impressed with our defensive set up under GR and I totally think we've got the right manager.

The problem is turning around a bloated squad of, particularly midfielders and "attacking midfielders/forwards". I still maintain that, as fabulous as Martin HAS been for us, he's past his sell by for a club looking for promotion from the Championship to the premiership. Unless you shape your team totally around him the dynamic breaks down and he looks isolated and redundant. We have a proliferation of attacking midfielders/strikers who's roles are ill defined, but because we have them on long contracts we play them week in week out, getting the same inconsistency. I would argue, the only ones with a spark of promise are Vydra and Nuge, but we haven't quite worked out where to play them yet.

I don't envy GR's task in reducing our flotsam, but at least he has publicly identified the situation. Difficult task.

Don't confuse me for a "if we don't win every game 3-0, we're a s**** team" merchant. I'm just saying what is fairly obvious. 

Trouble is, who wants to buy these inconsistent players on big wages? It'll take more than a couple of transfer windows.

GR has suggested he might "segregate" these players and concentrate on a smaller tighter knit squad, but for now you can only play what you've got.

I'm totally confident we've got the right manager, but I think we need at least 3 high impact players in midfield and attack to begin to move forward.

Whether our budget, or ability to convince them to join us allows this to happen, who knows.

For those who think anyone who questions performances such as last night as a knee jerk reaction, it's because we keep doing the same thing over and over again with the same end product, with the same personnel.

I'm not a shock jock, I'm just observing what most fans, and more importantly, our manager has identified.....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

To identify a lack of (attacking) progression is not to be a "boo boy". I'm really impressed with our defensive set up under GR and I totally think we've got the right manager.

The problem is turning around a bloated squad of, particularly midfielders and "attacking midfielders/forwards". I still maintain that, as fabulous as Martin HAS been for us, he's past his sell by for a club looking for promotion from the Championship to the premiership. Unless you shape your team totally around him the dynamic breaks down and he looks isolated and redundant. We have a proliferation of attacking midfielders/strikers who's roles are ill defined, but because we have them on long contracts we play them week in week out, getting the same inconsistency. I would argue, the only ones with a spark of promise are Vydra and Nuge, but we haven't quite worked out where to play them yet.

I don't envy GR's task in reducing our flotsam, but at least he has publicly identified the situation. Difficult task.

Don't confuse me for a "if we don't win every game 3-0, we're a s**** team" merchant. I'm just saying what is fairly obvious. 

Trouble is, who wants to buy these inconsistent players on big wages? It'll take more than a couple of transfer windows.

GR has suggested he might "segregate" these players and concentrate on concentrating on a smaller tighter knit squad, but for now you can only play what you've got.

I'm totally confident we've got the right manager, but I think we need at least 3 high impact players in midfield and attack to begin to move forward.

Whether our budget, or ability to convince them to join us allows this to happen, who knows.

For those who think anyone who questions performances such as last night as a knee jerk reaction, it's because we keep doing the same thing over and over again with the same end product, with the same personnel.

I'm not a shock jock, I'm just observing what most fans, and more importantly, our manager has identified.....

I will stand by what I have already said, a good point last night, judge us after 10 games, and yes I agree with Gary we need 2 more players, but the future is bright the future as always is black and white,. And Martin is not the problem, a wideman and another centre midfielder required, to give us a better chance of promotion, but our team as it is , is still a good championship team.

Mate, with respect, I think you're delusional. Last night's team was top 10 at best. Possibly one of the best defences in this division, but Huddles excepted, in front of that, it's all so very wrong and nowhere near promotion material as things stand. All of the remaining 5 players have been inconsistent as long as we've had them. Promotion material they aint.... 

Promotion winning teams are all about consistency.

Sorry, not picking a fight, but their  performances in a Derby shirt back this up....

2 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

Mate, with respect, I think you're delusional. Last night's team was top 10 at best. Possibly one of the best defences in this division, but Huddles excepted, in front of that, it's all so very wrong and nowhere near promotion material as things stand. All of the remaining 5 players have been inconsistent as long as we've had them. Promotion material they aint.... 

Promotion winning teams are all about consistency.

Sorry, not picking a fight, but their  performances in a Derby shirt back this up....

You have your opinion, and I have mine, so we will talk more after 10 games, we will be fighting promotion this season, so with all respect sit back and enjoy the season, Once a Ram always a ram.

Archived