Strange Fixture Sequence

Stive Pesley

I’ve just been adding the rest of our home games to my new year planner and I noticed that we have a strange run of fixtures for the next few months

Basically from 21st Jan we play two home games then two away games all the way through to the last 3 games of the season.

Not only that but 3 of the 4 double home games are Saturday/Tuesday pairs (which I love)

Sat Jan 21st - Reading
Sat Jan 28th - Burton Albion

Tues Jan 31st - Ipswich Town

Sat Feb 4th - Newcastle United 
Sat Feb 11th - Bristol City
Tues Feb 14th - Cardiff City

Sat Feb 18th - Blackburn
Sat Feb 25th - Aston Villa

Sat Mar 4th - Barnsley
Tues Mar 7th - Preston

Sat Mar 11th - Brighton
Sat Mar 18th - Nottingham Forest

Sat Apr 1st - QPR
Tues Apr 4th - Fulham

Sat Apr 8th - Birmingham City
Fri Apr 14th - Brentford

Looking at the previous few seasons fixture lists and we’ve never had a sequence quite like this before.

Not really sure if this is an advantage or a disadvantage, but if I’m being positive it gives us a chance to build some momentum if we can stay undefeated at home

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I noticed this too and find it a bit odd. Because of course the two aways can have the opposite effect of stopping a run, could demoralise a team.

If the fixtures are consistent for all clubs ie two home, two away then it would make the usual fluctuations of position that generally mirror the home away sequence a bit greater meaning more excitement for observers. So could be a deliberate EFL ploy. 

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yes I noticed this too and find it a bit odd. Because of course the two aways can have the opposite effect of stopping a run, could demoralise a team.

If the fixtures are consistent for all clubs ie two home, two away then it would make the usual fluctuations of position that generally mirror the home away sequence a bit greater meaning more excitement for observers. So could be a deliberate EFL ploy. 

Yeah I did wonder if it was the same for all clubs. I've only looked at the top 6, but they don't have the same sequence as us, so must just be a coincidence and the way things have fallen

Of course when we stuff WBA tomorrow on our way to FA Cup final victory it will change our fixture list completely :lol:

Archived