Naive and transparent

unclej

It feels as if we have some way to go, with every manager surely having worked us out.  Big center halves cope with our clipped balls into the box and a bus parked behind the ball sees us having to walk the ball in for a possible goal. What on earth are they training with set pieces?  Goals come against us by hitting us on the break.  Not having scored is nothing to do with luck of course.  We either aren't training correctly or we aren't training hard enough.  I'd love to bring a team to the IPRO now.  McCarthy read it perfectly, even predicting the crowd would be silent after 20mins. You could have heard a pin drop. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought this last night. McCarthy had a game plan and his players executed the perfect away performance.

I'd say they got fortunate in the sense that they nicked a winner from nowhere whilst managing to somehow keep the ball out at the other end but if teams set up at the iPro to frustrate and play in exactly the same manner then we'll see more results of this nature.

I think in training they need to work on breaking down packed defences. Last night lots of play went through the middle where Ipswich had loads of bodies in the way. IMO the best route to a goal would have been spray it to the wide men to get in crosses nice and early.

When we DID get in these crossing positions, for some bizarre reason they chose to loft it into the area. Piece of p*ss for a strong Ipswich defence. Pointless. The penalty area was packed with bodies. Just hammer it hard and low across the face of goal and that would have been a better option IMO.

That said I thought we were unlucky and Ipswich always seemed to have a body in the way but McCarthy won on tactics for sure.

Archived