Is it just me that's happy with the current squad?

mumblemumble

mumblemumble

Last year's transfer deadline day turned out to be a day of wasting money, why do the fans want a repeat?

Our first team is one of the best in the division:

Carson

Christie   Keogh   Shackell   Olsson

Thorne   Bryson

Ince   Hughes   Vydra

Martin

And our squad is also capable of rotating in the attacking positions:

Wilson

Weimann

Camara

Bent

Johnson

Russell

Butterfield

Blackman

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am more than happy with the squad, it's the backroom staff that leave something to be desired for me. Really I thought we only needed to things signing in the summer - a DM and a winger, with maybe a RB coming in. Not had any of those, but hey I still think this squad is good enough for the playoffs.

When you can go through each player and say "yeah, that's about as good as I've ever seen them" then I think it's time to buy. 

When they're at their best but are a weak link. 

When you have several players not hitting their own standards then I think you need to ask why before you go spending crazy. 

So yeah, I want to see more out of the players we have. I've barely even cared who we signed. 

Think it was a bit hopeful signing 2 forwards when we can't get possession in the opponents third to feed them. Unless these forwards are excellent at shots from 40 yards.

Our current squad is fine if not excellent on paper, unfortunately not translating to reality. 2 years since Wembley and has been a steady decline despite heavy investment. Recruitment has been really poor since Wembley.

We have no natural wingers other than Camara, rest converted forwards which are nowhere near consistent enough. 

Have too many midfielders who only play centrally. Have too many players who seem stuck when not played in a 433.

Think the squad is talented but in a really poor state considering where we were two years ago and the investment that's been made since. 

Forward line also seems debatable, Martin needs to adapt to a new role. Bent needs releasing.  Too many questions to be happy with the squad.

On paper the squad is fine, but that first team you have @mumblemumble is not. Thorne is still injured and we need a replacement - at least two if we are going to play that formation. May as well give Grant a go there as well if we think Bryson is going to be any good in that position - he's great when allowed to attack, but wasted as a holding mid (also see Will Hughes).

I also think we need a better right back from a defensive perspective and whilst solid defensively Shackell really needs to work on his passing ability. 

As for attack I like Martin and he has been a good player for us, but Christ do we need some competition for him, which Vydra should hopefully provide.

Weimann and Camara are the only to two signings for us who I would even bother including. Johnson was good for a few games and then went completely downhill for some reason, but would still keep him. Butterfield one of our few midfielders who actually scores goals, but still not convinced with him. Russell is ok some of the time. I will personally drive Bent and Blackman free of charge to whichever new club they wish to join.

However we don't seem to be targeting replacements for Thorne or a right back, so guess I will just have to be happy with the squad since the whole using youth players thing seems to have gone out the window now as well.

Also if it is the same person choosing players as who did under Clement then no I don't want us to waste our money any further - just put it in the shredder instead.

5 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Recruitment has been really poor since Wembley.

Saying recruitment has been poor is very generous of you.

Archived