The price of success

Phoenix

I came across this interesting post on the Leicester City forum, which highlights the dilemma of a comparatively small club wining the Premier title, with a generally sensible discussion afterwards. A sobering thought, and it could be us one day.

"Last year Leicester City won the EPL on the cheap. £20k to £40k a week players when the 'elite' pay anything up to £220k. Its a different ball game though, the elite get shirt sponsorship deals worth 75 times what the LC shirt sponsorship deal is and the clubs can recoup a big chunk of the big wages via global shirt sales and other sponsorship. Now, we are having to pay the big wages for players at the start of last season that you couldn't give away but with low level sponsorship and invariably lower level shirt sales. It means our top players cost our club more than the £220k a week players do at other clubs. By boosting wage levels LC are effectively paying and guaranteeing to pay for many years for last years success when everyone know it isn't going to be repeated this year. So why pay the big wages at all? It could turn out to be a costly mistake to double or treble players wages overnight rather than cashing in and buying in lower cost replacements.

The club had a five year plan to become a top 6 side, the plan has been overtaken by events and winning the league is priceless but trebling wages doesn't affect that, its a historic fact sealed forever in time. Trebling wages has clearly raised squad rivalry and introduce a large element of financial risk if the enriched players loose their form. Why is Kasper on a reported £100k a week when Kante was reportedly only offered £80k, it doesn't make any sense? We could have sold 3 or 4 players for £100mn and invested part of that in some good £50k a week replacements with a realistic expectation of survival in the league. I think Southampton with an effective sell and replace policy has maintained their team harmony than we may well have lost with a bunch of players looking for long term pay out for a one off last season.

In the owners and manager we have to trust but there are definite clouds on the horizon. We know that well paid underperforming players refuse to be transferred and we may well see a few of those over then next 4 years."

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/108136-why-players-wages-matter/

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why they have to pay the players more now unless they have signed new deals or had it written in to their contracts on winning a title which I I highly doubt you would when joining Leicester, also struggling to believe Kasper Schmeichel is on 100k a week, more fool them if they have. 

Well, Arsenal offered Vardey £80k so Leicester had to offer £100k to keep him. Then you get 'If he's on £100k and I'm only on £50k, I'm off' and so it goes on.

They seem just as incredulous as you about Kasper on £100k. Mind you, the owners have money to burn. They just bought the squad of 18, a  £100K BMW each.

Hard to have any sympathy if true, as the poster said, do a Southampton, sell, replace and move on. Would be no shame for Leicester to finish mid table this season, you don't go from relegation battlers and expect top 6 in a season. 

Archived