The three promoted teams - Which would we be more likely to copy?

Bris Vegas

So, Middlesbrough, Hull City and Burnley got promoted last season (a poor three if you ask me) and each have taken an entirely different strategy in regards to survival and future plans.

Burnley seem to target good Championship players, and while expected to be relegated they'll at least be in a strong position for when they come back down here. Is this a good way to go? For me, it's sensible for a club of their size.

Hull haven't done anything this summer, though they have plenty of off-field issues with ownership etc. They have an experienced squad, and it looks like they are going to make few changes.

Boro, on the other hand, have brought in I think eight new players to date. We all know Karanka plays 4-2-3-1, that's his system and identity, and they've bought in specific players to fit the team. They've spent alot! Holding midfielder De Roon to replace Leadbitter, Negredo as the lone striker, Victor Valdes as new number one, Espinosa and McGhee at the back, Ramirez on a perm, Fischer from Ajax as a new winger. I'd say these are really good deals.

If Derby got promoted, which of the three strategies do you think we should take? Or would have taken had we got promoted. Would the players Boro have signed be realistic for us? They must be paying Negredo and Valdes pretty hefty wages. 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

So, Middlesbrough, Hull City and Burnley got promoted last season (a poor three if you ask me) and each have taken an entirely different strategy in regards to survival and future plans.

Burnley seem to target good Championship players, and while expected to be relegated they'll at least be in a strong position for when they come back down here. Is this a good way to go? For me, it's sensible for a club of their size.

Hull haven't done anything this summer, though they have plenty of off-field issues with ownership etc. They have an experienced squad, and it looks like they are going to make few changes.

Boro, on the other hand, have brought in I think eight new players to date. We all know Karanka plays 4-2-3-1, that's his system and identity, and they've bought in specific players to fit the team. They've spent alot! Holding midfielder De Roon to replace Leadbitter, Negredo as the lone striker, Victor Valdes as new number one, Espinosa and McGhee at the back, Ramirez on a perm, Fischer from Ajax as a new winger. I'd say these are really good deals.

If Derby got promoted, which of the three strategies do you think we should take? Or would have taken had we got promoted. Would the players Boro have signed be realistic for us? They must be paying Negredo and Valdes pretty hefty wages. 

We'll probably go none of the above. 

We don't have a settled system so the "bring players in to suit " is irrelevant. 

We have a bigger financial backer than Burnley so cheese-paring in the expectation of disappointment is not necessary. 

And we are not a recent prem side who are chock full of players who have shown that they can win points in the prem. 

"The derby way" will prevail. 

McClaren's team you could have upgraded. Like for like players. 

Now? Now we need to find our feet again. Last season was a damaging season.

4 managers in about a year is not good.

If we'd beat Hull then I think the Burnley approach would have been best. I wasn't exactly heartbroken we lost because we just weren't prepared. 2014 Derby would have destroyed 2016 Derby. 

Need to feel like we're on a journey again and not just bumbling along. 

Archived