Bloody Pets

ram1964

11 hours ago, StivePesley said:

You're not wrong - I read this and got quite upset about it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1232217/Why-Im-ashamed-vet-shocking-expose-profession-puts-pets-painful-unnecessary-treatments-fleece-trusting-owners.html

I then found a not-for-profit vets in Bolton

http://www.animaltrust.org.uk/about/

They list all the prices for common procedures - which are obviously priced at the bottom line, so that they can cover expenses and keep the practice running. They quote a leg amputation at £288

Pride Vets quoted £800+ - how can they keep sleep at night??

There are good and bad vets I guess, just like there are good and bad doctors.

We once spent £900+ on surgery for our tomcat Oscar.

He had cancer, but the vet told us he could operate and after a short recovery, would have another 6 months-ish of decent life before it took hold again.

In the end, he lived another 18 months in perfect health, so it was worth every penny!

The way they try and sting you for flea treatments, worming tablets etc every check up annoys a bit though, we buy Frontline from Costco at a 1/4 of the price the vets charge.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/06/2016 at 20:28, reveldevil said:

There are good and bad vets I guess, just like there are good and bad doctors.

We once spent £900+ on surgery for our tomcat Oscar.

He had cancer, but the vet told us he could operate and after a short recovery, would have another 6 months-ish of decent life before it took hold again.

In the end, he lived another 18 months in perfect health, so it was worth every penny!

The way they try and sting you for flea treatments, worming tablets etc every check up annoys a bit though, we buy Frontline from Costco at a 1/4 of the price the vets charge.

This is very true. Plus a lot of these "recommendations " seem quite faddish and don't bloody work that well!

I quite liked Costco for some things we bought until I did the maths on their membership apprach  (annual fee) and realised that unless you shop there most every week it doesn't actually save you that much. ....

Archived