Ferguson leaves via mutual consent.

Perky1106

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peterborough director of football Barry Fry has claimed Darren Ferguson has been tapped up by another club.

Ferguson departed London Road on Tuesday by mutual consent after three years at the club, in which he guided Posh to successive promotions from League Two to the Championship.

Reports initially suggested that Ferguson had been sacked by Peterborough before the club announced the decision had been made by mutual consent, and Fry has now claimed that he already has a new job lined up.

"I think Darren will get a job very soon and my own personal opinion is that he already has one," he said.

"He will get a chance at a big club and he will do very well. There is no doubt about that.

"Every day there is a different club linked with him so he will be all right.

"There will be nobody more delighted if Darren manages a Premier League club successfully than us."

The 37-year-old's departure has been met with much criticism from Posh fans after he led them up to the second tier of English football, despite the club currently sitting rock-bottom of the Championship with just 11 points from 16 games.Fry's latest claim adds to the confusing situation at Peterborough, with club chairman Darragh MacAnthony denying Fry's allegations that another club had come in for Ferguson - although he does not expect him to be without a club for very long.

"He is free to go to another club now, our business is done. He can work for whoever he wants," MacAnthony said.

"I'm not saying that he has been approached by another club but I don't expect him to be on the shelf for long, put it that way.

"But the main thing to talk about is that we no longer have a manager. We have enjoyed terrific success over the last three years under Darren but we as a football club have to move on.

"I believe that these players are not a bottom of the table side, we can be in the top 12 and then move on from there."

With Eddie Howe out of the running for the vacant managerial post at London Road, the 33-year-old chairman also denied that Steve Coppell, Peter Taylor, Chris Wilder and Gareth Southgate are on his shortlist.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5688811,00.html

Archived