Traffic

RicME85

Traffic has been noticeably worse the last few weeks. 

The whole of Pride Park has become a car park after the final whistle.

Would make more sense for there to be a one way system so that both lanes are used to leave the area because as it stands the various roundabouts arent filtering cars away from the area. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Traffic has been appalling this season.

I started a thread before the season started about the DC1 and DC2 buses being scrapped and got laughed at but I genuinely think its having an effect on Pride Park (along with other factors).

Its taken me 45mins to get from Riverside carpark to the traffic lights by the bus station on most occasions this season.

The roads need sorting so that you can use both lanes to leave Pride Park, they do it in other parts of the country, hell they do it around Donington Park for big events. Only needs to be a temporary thing for 20-30mins after the final whistle.

The A6 needs to be blocked at both ends of Pride Park and at the Wyvern Burger King/Pizza Hut/Costco roundabout for this short time so no extra cars can come into the area. Anywhere where I have drawn an arrow should be the direction of flow with cars using both sides of the road.

7qqXCjc.png

Im no road planner or expert but to my logical thinking brain the whole plan I drew up makes more sense than what we have now where cars are going in both directions, getting to a roundabout them filling up. Currently these three roundabouts are creating a loop in clockwise and anticlockwise travel where flow will now move across the three of them unless one car leaves the area completely.

ha35C1P.png

The two main areas where improvements can be made is more buses ferrying people off PP after the game and a 15 minute window of traffic priority at the Cock Pitt lights and 6/London Road roundabout. 

It needs less cars in that area and an improved flow off out of the area. 

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

So how would an emergency vehicle get to the ground under your system?

Same way that emergency vehicles do already .... either they are there to start with or just drive down the road and let the cars move out the way. The roads around PP can fit what...4 cars across? Not like they are narrow country lanes. 

4 minutes ago, sage said:

The two main areas where improvements can be made is more buses ferrying people off PP after the game and a 15 minute window of traffic priority at the Cock Pitt lights and 6/London Road roundabout. 

It needs less cars in that area and an improved flow off out of the area. 

Definitely, like I said previously (and now has its own thread due to Daveo splitting the suggestion thread, Im sure the DC1 and DC2 being cut has had a significant effect.

1 hour ago, hiltonram said:

I dont think two buses has a great effect on the  overall traffic flow but more buses from out lying areas need to be put on. And then like they used to do allow the convoy of buses out aĺl in one go onto the main roads. More buses = less cars = quicker get away for everyone.

yeah a couple going out to the Meteor Centre Park and Ride, that type of stuff

• 2 weeks later...
On 19 December 2015 at 15:01, RamNut said:

So how would an emergency vehicle get to the ground under your system?

On 19 December 2015 at 15:05, RicME85 said:

Same way that emergency vehicles do already .... either they are there to start with or just drive down the road and let the cars move out the way. The roads around PP can fit what...4 cars across? Not like they are narrow country lanes. 

with your system, any incoming vehicle would be driving up a one-way street the wrong way.

Roundabouts would cease to be roundabouts

so if you've parked at david lloyd and want to go to Alvaston or Ascot Drive - tough titty, you can only head towards town.

your scheme is so mad you should probably consider a career in Town Planning.

Clubs like Southampton do it it fine. Donington do it for major events.

Lets take your Alvaston point .... so you would rather sit for 45mins on PP getting nowhere just to go to Alvaston rather than get out of PP within minutes and have to drive a bit further? Ok.

On 12/23/2015 at 20:08, hiltonram said:

I dont think two buses has a great effect on the  overall traffic flow but more buses from out lying areas need to be put on. And then like they used to do allow the convoy of buses out aĺl in one go onto the main roads. More buses = less cars = quicker get away for everyone.

Yes.that could definitely work. Each suburb gets a bus (just like it was for my school days) 

maybe a short bus route to the match on a popular road from each area.

Examples (two areas i have lived)

Alvaston- Boulton Lane from the bottom to the top onto london road to pride park.

Stenson Fields/sunnyhill/normanton/peartree-  stenson road from the bottom (stenson fields) to top. right at the roundabout and just past the cinema take a left at the cross junction through i think pear tree? brings you out london road bridge onto pride park

you get the jist of it even if those routes are not perfect.

Archived