England U21 squad

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ruben Loftus Cheek looks a player I can see why he's at Chelsea. 

​He looked like the new Carlton Palmer when he first came on, all arms and legs, but then he got the ball down - great feet for a big lad.

Garbutt from Everton looked class as well

Too much bias with Hughes I think. 

Much preffered the 2nd half England with a more direct Ruben Loftus Cheek. 

​The way Belarus set up it was hard for anyone to thread a ball through the middle. A more direct approach was needed.

I don't think Hughes was the best player on the pitch but he was the best player by a mile between Carroll and Ward Prowse who gave the ball away numerous times

He'll have that CM role nailed down now.

​The way Belarus set up it was hard for anyone to thread a ball through the middle. A more direct approach was needed.

I don't think Hughes was the best player on the pitch but he was the best player by a mile between Carroll and Ward Prowse who gave the ball away numerous times

He'll have that CM role nailed down now.

I like Hughes but I want him to develop without all the hype. 

He needs to keep his feet on the ground. 

I watched the game and Hughes was his normal brilliant self but still needs to develop his game. 

​I'd agree, given that he was playing amongst Premier League players I think it's testament to his future potential that he dominated the midfield.

Why was hughes taken off at half time? I didn't watch the game.

Did the manager just decide to take 'the best player on the pitch' off for tactical reasons?

​Probably to give others a run out. England struggled to get behind Belarus after Hughes went off, and Southgate changed formation after about an hour and pushed 2 up front with the full backs pushing up to almost wingers. They had more luck getting round the back after that but tbf Belarus defended well

Archived