The 1884 Group

sounds good! The best flags are home made anyways! ;) What design of flags you going for? will there be a variety?

Basic to start, as the season progresses, and if more donations come in we can start to supplement but to be honest, as long as they're black and white, I think that's all that's needed for "handwaving" flags. 

So, some will be plain black or white, some will be half black, half white, and some may be a plain background with DCFC or 1884 painted on. Expecting that to be the variation at the moment.

Proper designs will probably come in more later on if we can get some big flags, or if we can get some images put up on concourse walls.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basic to start, as the season progresses, and if more donations come in we can start to supplement but to be honest, as long as they're black and white, I think that's all that's needed for "handwaving" flags. 

So, some will be plain black or white, some will be half black, half white, and some may be a plain background with DCFC or 1884 painted on. Expecting that to be the variation at the moment.

Proper designs will probably come in more later on if we can get some big flags, or if we can get some images put up on concourse walls.

Just a thought but entirely plain white flags might not send out the right message.

Yeah it doesn't stand out quite as much as yellow or orange.

But it is our colour and in a mass of flags, I think will blend in okay.

We will probably try to paint DCFC, 1884, or stencil the Ram on to a fair few of the white ones.

This is all a work in progress, trial and error, etc so if we ty something and it doesn't work we know for next time.

No I mean, because a plain white flag is the symbol of surrender. You should try and put something on any plain white ones.

We will put them out randomly, mainly across the South Stand at the first game. If for example, 300 go into the South Stand, there are 10 blocks, we would put 30 flags into each block randomly. W should have a couple of volunteers in each block to put them out and collect back in after, but will depend on people not taking them too.

Balloons, streamers, confetti will also be distributed at random.

I told my mate who sit in the south stand with his missus and kid about the 400 flags.

he said "they'd better not wave the buggers in my face or they'll get snapped over me leg."

am I right in saying it's only after a goal, or before the game starts, but not during play?

Yep, pre-match, pre-2nd half and post-goals.  Well aware people go to watch the game, not to see a load of polyester swishing around in front of them.

Having said that, people might be a bit disappointed if they're expecting to have their view of the pitch blocked out by a wall of flags, not at that level just yet! 

You could make scarves too I think. They would take a bit of sewing but no rivets or poles. I love to see a bit of scarf twirling! 

I'd offer to sew but I don't have a machine. 

Buy one?

Why are people so bloody grumpy? 

Why snap a flag? Just say 'excuse me mate, drop the flag a bit please' 

what's wrong with derby fans? Such a load of miserable gits. If they weren't so moany we wouldn't need to mobilise some atmosphere 

I told my mate who sit in the south stand with his missus and kid about the 400 flags.

he said "they'd better not wave the buggers in my face or they'll get snapped over me leg."

am I right in saying it's only after a goal, or before the game starts, but not during play?

tell your mate to sod off to the west stand, grumpy git!

There's a reason it is starting in the south stand and not the west stand.

having said that, I think people should know that standing, swearing and "atmosphere" is part of being in the south stand now. If you don't like it, there are lots of other areas to sit and watch the game.

that's my personal view, not telling people what to do, it's their right to sit where they want, etc, etc.

There's a reason it is starting in the south stand and not the west stand.

having said that, I think people should know that standing, swearing and "atmosphere" is part of being in the south stand now. If you don't like it, there are lots of other areas to sit and watch the game.

that's my personal view, not telling people what to do, it's their right to sit where they want, etc, etc.

that is wholly wrong on so many levels, I don't think this would be the view of the club mate. 

I think you ought to think about what you post if I were you.

Or the return of the flags may be a problem for you.

that is wholly wrong on so many levels, I don't think this would be the view of the club mate. 

I think you ought to think about what you post if I were you.

Or the return of the flags may be a problem for you.

not intended to offend, maybe worded badly. Just trying to point out that the concept of the south stand was to create a singing area.

granted standing and swearing are not official reasons for it being created!

said several times, we just want to create a better atmosphere, that's all!

Why are people so bloody grumpy? 

Why snap a flag? Just say 'excuse me mate, drop the flag a bit please' 

what's wrong with derby fans? Such a load of miserable gits. If they weren't so moany we wouldn't need to mobilise some atmosphere 

You sound so bloody grumpy. Get out more, enjoy yourself, get some sun, drink some beer, snap some flags

Anyway, hope I've not offended anyone, I'm aware that not everyone will want flags, balloons and all the rest at games, but feedback we've had has been mostly very positive.

Think I might be getting all confused anyway, not dealing with the nuttiness of the weather! 

I'll check in tomorrow if anyone wants to raise anything!

#allderbyarentwe

Archived