Foriegn players

Ovis aries

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was there some sort of embargo put on Watford with foreign players ? , if so we may have to adhere to it if Mr Clement arrives .

​That was due Watford broke the rule. That won't happens here anyway.

Was there some sort of embargo put on Watford with foreign players ? , if so we may have to adhere to it if Mr Clement arrives .

I believe this was due to the club owner sending a load of players from  another club he owns over to them on loan.

As clement doesn't own another football club I think we may be fine.

every club has to adhere to loan regulations.

I daresay if the UKIPpers get their way the influx of foreign players will be history.

So long as they pay income tax , and do not claim benefits they will be fine surely ?.

If that is not the case then all foreign managers and owners should be illegal too.

There would be quite a few rudderless clubs knocking about.

So long as they pay income tax , and do not claim benefits they will be fine surely ?.

If that is not the case then all foreign managers and owners should be illegal too.

There would be quite a few rudderless clubs knocking about.

​Maybe it's my lack of understanding of the finer aspects of policy, but that doesn't seem to be in keeping with the stated philosophy of UKIP or if it is, then it smacks of double standards. Polish and Rumanian fruit-pickers no, Kazimierz Deyna and Gheorghe Lato, welcome chaps.

​Maybe it's my lack of understanding of the finer aspects of policy, but that doesn't seem to be in keeping with the stated philosophy of UKIP or if it is, then it smacks of double standards. Polish and Rumanian fruit-pickers no, Kazimierz Deyna and Gheorghe Lato, welcome chaps.

You must have missed when Farage talked about points-based systems in the election campaign. He only said it a couple of thousand times

You must have missed when Farage talked about points-based systems in the election campaign. He only said it a couple of thousand times

That's the problem with repetitive rhetoric - if you are a single-issue protest party, then it becomes a rallying mantra to those of like minds and a drone to those whose opinion differs. Basically Farage preaches to the converted. 

UKIP have made a bigger gain in popularity than any other party this election so your point doesn't stand. People have clearly gone from not being converted to being converted.

And you could say that about a lot of parties with more than one issue in any case. Tories are privatising the NHS I hear. Again and again and again to the point of it becoming a religious mantra. Labour were bad with the economy I hear again and again (even though Tories borrowed more in their one term than Labour did in 13). They preach to the converted too. This doesn't stop privatisation about the NHS and the economy being salient issues just like mass immigration is. Well 3/4 of the population think it is anyway.

I don't know why I've even bothered taking that post seriously. We both know you are aware of the points-based system idea but choose to hear what you want to hear. You've put a babel fish in your ear that translates anything Nigel Farage says into xenophobia.

Anyway, regarding football there has been a longstanding debate on the impact of foreign players on English football. Maybe with a UKIP style points based system foreign players would have to do a certain amount of keepie uppies before being allowed to play here 

I tend to find that people who hold extreme views (and that includes the left and the right) are the least likely to have any sense of humour, the most likely to think that they have the 'perfect solution' and the most likely to take umbrage at anything that takes the Mickey out of their viewpoint.

No offence, but you'll probably take it anyway.

Hahaha. You called me extreme! The wit you demonstrate coupled with my levels of self-deprecation make for much mirth

Got me there - although it was really a general point about people holding extreme views.

A serious question now, and not aimed at you either directly, by inference or by association - do you think that anybody holding an extreme view on anything would ever recognise it as such?

I would describe myself as one who generally occupies a slightly left-of-centre viewpoint on most issues (traditional liberal as in Jo Grimond or Jeremy Thorpe ground), valuing above all a 'laissez-faire' attitude to most things and not claiming to know any, let alone all of the answers. I usually vote for the candidate who I feel would do more for the (local) community, as opposed to just toeing any political party line, but I HAVE exercised my right to vote tactically. I don't deal in speculation, especially that surrounding our current club, took part in one politically-motivated protest (against the 1970 South African cricket tour), but found myself described yesterday as a 'Marxist'. 

Confused of Castle Donington

Got me there - although it was really a general point about people holding extreme views.

A serious question now, and not aimed at you either directly, by inference or by association - do you think that anybody holding an extreme view on anything would ever recognise it as such?

I would describe myself as one who generally occupies a slightly left-of-centre viewpoint on most issues (traditional liberal as in Jo Grimond or Jeremy Thorpe ground), valuing above all a 'laissez-faire' attitude to most things and not claiming to know any, let alone all of the answers. I usually vote for the candidate who I feel would do more for the (local) community, as opposed to just toeing any political party line, but I HAVE exercised my right to vote tactically. I don't deal in speculation, especially that surrounding our current club, took part in one politically-motivated protest (against the 1970 South African cricket tour), but found myself described yesterday as a 'Marxist'. 

Confused of Castle Donington

Yeah but not overnight and probably not without some intervention. I'm a big fan of Maajid Nawaz who proves it can be done (I'll put a link but not had much luck embedding stuff lately). Not only did Nawaz dramatically change his outlook he then convinced the EDL leader to step down. People becoming entrenched in their views is a definite problem on that I think we can agree. 

But then maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick and you're asking if somebody can retain the extreme idea whilst Being aware of its extremity? If so, hmmm I'd say usually not. I'm trying to think of examples. Advocates of torture maybe. I can't imagine anybody not recognising the extremity of torture in this day and age yet the end justifying the means  argument is a valid one. Interesting subject I've not thought too much about.

It was wrong of BahrainRam (I think) to call you a Marxist but was also wrong of you to label Tories as fascist that time which is why I was picking you up on it. You've obviously got quite a lot between your ears so I think you let yourself down when you lower yourself to labelling non-extreme views you don't agree with as extreme. It's too tabloid for someone of the intellect you claim to have.
And then you pass it off as mickey taking when anyone queries it. I think that's a bit disingenuous but could be wrong.  

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maajid_Nawaz

Yeah but not overnight and probably not without some intervention. I'm a big fan of Maajid Nawaz who proves it can be done (I'll put a link but not had much luck embedding stuff lately). Not only did Nawaz dramatically change his outlook he then convinced the EDL leader to step down. People becoming entrenched in their views is a definite problem on that I think we can agree. 

But then maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick and you're asking if somebody can retain the extreme idea whilst Being aware of its extremity? If so, hmmm I'd say usually not. I'm trying to think of examples. Advocates of torture maybe. I can't imagine anybody not recognising the extremity of torture in this day and age yet the end justifying the means  argument is a valid one. Interesting subject I've not thought too much about.

It was wrong of BahrainRam (I think) to call you a Marxist but was also wrong of you to label Tories as fascist that time which is why I was picking you up on it. You've obviously got quite a lot between your ears so I think you let yourself down when you lower yourself to labelling non-extreme views you don't agree with as extreme. It's too tabloid for someone of the intellect you claim to have.
And then you pass it off as mickey taking when anyone queries it. I think that's a bit disingenuous but could be wrong.  

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maajid_Nawaz

​Some very good points, and it's very likely that the last couple of paragraphs do highlight some of my own shortcomings. Regarding torturers and advocates of torture,, it's perhaps possible that they console themselves with the phrase "It's for the greater good", which in my opinion puts them in the self-imposed position of being judge, jury, executioner and god.

I certainly do not believe that Tories are fascists - if I did I would all Nuremburg Trially over the missus as she is dangerously blue-rinse. In all seriousness there has only really been one person in British fringe politics who has worn the classical fascist - or neo-fascist hat - in the last 25 years, and that is Nick Griffin who pretty well ticks all the boxes and is (or rather was, until he realised that it was a vote-loser) a holocaust denier. I wouldn't even (seriously) describe UKIP as neo-fascist - unfortunately their support and membership demographic does include a number of people who have migrated from the BNP. Maybe they have mellowed - who knows? They are trying to expunge that aspect of their support when it manifests itself, and fair play to them for doing so.

One thing though - I don't claim any level of intellect. As I tried to explain yesterday, intelligence is, in my mind, no more and no less than the ability to perform well in intelligence tests. Others label it differently, using an entirely different frame of reference (someone, I can't remember who), suggested that David Beckham displayed intelligence in relation to his ability to pick out a pass without thinking about it (in much the same way that we admire Will Hughes in similar circumstances) - and thus the term 'sporting intelligence' was born.

Intellect, I am less-than-reliably informed (i.e. a random click on a link on the internet tells me), is knowing lots of stuff, whereas intelligence is the ability to look at patterns in that stuff and extrapolate other stuff from it. I don't think I agree with either definition. There are things I can (or could at one time) do far better than most other people, and there are things I try once, can't do and so give up on them, never to try again. If I was Robert Bruce, I would have hit the bloody spider with my shoe.

Can I stop philosophising now and go back to being the annoying old scrote most people on here think I am?

Ukip had some great ideas and for once, actually said how they would sort them all out. I would have voted for them but they were just lacking in one thing: beer. I want a leader to be a man of the people, a normal guy. A bloke you could chat to in the pub. Why do we never see any coverage of our leaders in the boozer, pint in hand having a laugh. The odd cheeky racist joke to wind up the pc brigade. That's why those 3 women 'leaders' were so daft. It was almost like one of my favourite jokes "a welsh woman, a scottish woman and an aussie woman walked into a pub". Haha get it. 3 women together in a pub. And not one of those funny pubs. A proper pub that sells proper english beer. Ukip need a leader like this and they'll sweep to power next time.

Archived