2p or not 2p

i-Ram

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you overestimate how many people will think of it that way. So many people hate the Tories, without really knowing why. They aren't looking for alternative policies as such, just an alternative. I think having a competent alternative is much more important that having a completely different alternative. Obviously, not everyone is like this (as you've showed) but I refuse to accept that the majority of people are politically aware. People hate the Tories because they're Tories, not always because of their policies.

Labour's biggest problem is that they don't have workable alternatives to the current policies. Boris Johnson pointed this out when discussing Russell Brand in a newspaper column a few weeks ago (I'll try find it when I'm home). At least with David, they would probably get into power.

Lets take privatisation of the NHS as an example of what i mean.

18 years of a Tory government began the process of carving up and selling off the NHS. When labour won in 1997 they should have halted it, reversed it and said categorically that a Labour government will not allow creeping privatisation, part privatisation or any privatisation. 

Thats what a Labour government should have done.

It didn't - 13 years of Blair/Brown allowed the private sector to continue its cherry picking, strengthening the previous governments foundations of selling off the nation's greatest asset.

If Labour had stopped it this present government would not of been able to take apart the NHS as they are now doing.

Labour should have completely different policies to the Tories on the NHS, not just arguing over the amount of privatisation but genuinely opposing it and reversing it.

We would then have a choice.

Labour might not win outright due to the squeals of outrage in the right wing press but by god it'd get people off the fence and actually discussing policies and the future of our country rather than Ed's nasal tones or fatboy Cameron's mardarse temper.

Archived