Have we learnt how to grind out wins?

robglosta

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 games under Clough - 3 wins 2 draws 4 defeats - 11 points. 14 goals scored  13 conceded.

Return games under Mac - 3 wins, 3 draws, 3 defeats - 12 points 11 goals scored 10 conceded

The only difference was a draw against Reading.

So if you are going to use results comparisons you could argue that we would only have finished 5 points worse off if Clough had stayed & Mac hadn't come, thus easily making the play-offs.

Its ridiculous to compare - you can pick & choose stats to back up most arguments.

For me, last season we missed out on second due to our inability to grind out wins when in a strong position (Brum away still particularly sticking in the craw).

Do you think this team skill can be learnt/developed?  Or is it too dependent on individuals and weakspots within the team?

If we are to live up to our favourites tag; this is an area we really need to comfortable with, in my opinion. 

Not sure I agree with that buddy. I think here were many caseslast season where we didn't play particularly well and still managed to grind out a result.

Victories over Sheff Wed (A), Bournemouth (H), Brighton (H), Watford (A) were all fortunate as we didn't play particularly well or found ourselves under pressure plus draws against the likes of Reading (A) and Blackburn (A) could be deemed fortunate too given the missed chances against us.

It's easy to point to the likes of Millwall, Bolton and Brum as games we should have won but didn't but it wasn't all plain sailing the other way.

At the end of the season fans of every club always look at the 'missed points' and come out with the 'what if' or 'we would have finished X' but totally disregard some of the fortunate results they had over the season.

The only reason we missed out on autos last season was because Burnley and Leicester were better over the 46 games. 85 points is normally good enough for automatic promotion and I'm sure if we reach that target again this season we'll go up.

Archived