Attendance -109,318

USA Rams fan

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/08/03/largest-united-states-crowd-ever-sees-rooney-manchester-united-defeat-real-madrid

109,318 people watched a Guinness International Champions Cup match between Man U and Real Madrid in Ann Arbor, Michigan. We don't get to see much quality football matches here in Detroit but when we do people show up. It was a great match with both Rooney and Bale scoring. They played at Michigan Stadium which is the largest in The US. There was concern that the game would not be sold out but we are starved for football here. There should have been no worry though. Detroit sold out an 80,000 plus stadium for 4 World Cup matches in '94. We also had over 31,000 recently for a friendly between AC Milan and Panathinaikos FC. Now if only we can get an MLS team! COYR.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, I know. They were added for their name to draw people in. The teams that are here are Real Madrid, Man U, Man City, AC Milan, AS Roma, Liverpool, Inter and Olympiacos. They are playing across 12 cities in The US & Toronto, Canada. Last year teams were better in my opinion, except for LA Galaxy. Chelsea, Everton, AC Milan, Inter, Juventus, Real Madrid, Valencia & LA Galaxy.

Not surprising with those attendance numbers. Anytime ESPN talks about soccer, excuse me football, (which is not often) it is almost always about Manchester United, Real Madrid, and other teams of the same caliber.  Therefore, a lot of younger kids over here become fans of these teams due to just that as they see them all the time.  The same could be said for essentially every major sport: Yankees in baseball, Cowboys in football, etc. It stinks but that is just the way it is.  Probably over 75% of those fans will never go see a game in UK or Spain, and probably do not even cheer on an MLS team.

Not surprising with those attendance numbers. Anytime ESPN talks about soccer, excuse me football, (which is not often) it is almost always about Manchester United, Real Madrid, and other teams of the same caliber.  Therefore, a lot of younger kids over here become fans of these teams due to just that as they see them all the time.  The same could be said for essentially every major sport: Yankees in baseball, Cowboys in football, etc. It stinks but that is just the way it is.  Probably over 75% of those fans will never go see a game in UK or Spain, and probably do not even cheer on an MLS team.

Does it matter?

No different to the Harlem Globetrotters coming here and putting on a show.

(Do they still exist?)

Does it matter?

No different to the Harlem Globetrotters coming here and putting on a show.

(Do they still exist?)

Overall I do not really care, it just irritates me how American fans become Man U fans or other big teams just simply because of who they are.  But as I said it will never change and that is just the way it is.

P.S. Yes, I the Globetrotters due still play some games, but when I watch them now on TV they are not as entertaining as when I was a kid :mellow:

Archived