The main thing we need to work on this season.

Ashz09

Hi all,

I have been seeing for a while especially last season the 3 weaknesses we have I'm sure this would of been already well documented already!

The 1st being when we get closed down all over the pitch when teams have done this we seem to struggle a fair bit and risk losing it high up field which can result in a goal. We may have to have the midfielders being a lot more busier offering them self

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your first and second points apply to every football team in the land and effectively writing 'the midfield should help out more' isn't saying anything.

We occasionally struggle against teams which sit back, but who doesn't? We saw Man City and Chelsea lose games last season against teams with similar tactics. It's football. Looking at our goal tally last season we usually got past it. We only looked truly clueless when Martin didn't play.

Set pieces you kinda have a point but it's not like we have anyone good in the air. Other than Buxton the only player we had you could throw crosses at was Keane who we had on loan. Direct free kicks, we scored, what, three last season? I'd wager most teams don't score more. We're a team far better on the deck than in the air meaning set pieces just won't be that effective. Perhaps we could try some new routines without the ball leaving the floor. The one USA tried against Belgium springs to mind.

It's not necessarily teams that sit back that we struggle against... It's teams who press is very high. Pushing their strikers/wingers right up onto our defence to stop us playing out from the back makes it really difficult for us. I'd imagine even more teams will do that against us this year.

It's not necessarily teams that sit back that we struggle against... It's teams who press is very high. Pushing their strikers/wingers right up onto our defence to stop us playing out from the back makes it really difficult for us. I'd imagine even more teams will do that against us this year.

This makes distribution from the goalie very important as is winning that second ball from his throw or kick.

This makes distribution from the goalie very important as is winning that second ball from his throw or kick.

Also means having a plan b should be important. Teams do struggle to do it all game, so we need to remain calm.

Your first and second points apply to every football team in the land and effectively writing 'the midfield should help out more' isn't saying anything.

We occasionally struggle against teams which sit back, but who doesn't? We saw Man City and Chelsea lose games last season against teams with similar tactics. It's football. Looking at our goal tally last season we usually got past it. We only looked truly clueless when Martin didn't play.

Set pieces you kinda have a point but it's not like we have anyone good in the air. Other than Buxton the only player we had you could throw crosses at was Keane who we had on loan. Direct free kicks, we scored, what, three last season? I'd wager most teams don't score more. We're a team far better on the deck than in the air meaning set pieces just won't be that effective. Perhaps we could try some new routines without the ball leaving the floor. The one USA tried against Belgium springs to mind.

Very true when you mentioned that I mostly thought of Chelsea who lost a lot of points vs 'lower teams' due to them defending and countering them. The qeustion is what is the best way around this? Change of formation, sticking 2 up front? making the full backs high up the pitch? It's a hard one.

Seeing the free kicks in very recent memory is the one which Green tipped around the post which was a great free kick. Also Russell hitting the bar recently vs Burton I'm just hoping this is a little sign that they are working on them! Just need some one to get on the end of the corners maybe do some training ground routines were not blessed with height as u mentioned only problem.

With regards to closing down like Srg said the only thing we may have to do is ride it out till around the 70-80th minute mark then turn it up a gear. I seem to remember one or two games at Pride Park where teams worked there arses off closing us down and it worked but come near the end of the game they could not do it any more. That's when we punished them but it's ok at 0-0 to do that just when were behind..

Archived