Why do tunes get stuck in your head

RamNut

For about a week i've had Neil Diamond Cracklin' Rosie driving me crackers.

Today i have to deliberately reprogramme mesen with 'Are you lonesome tonight'.

Now i've got that shiite going round and round in me head.

prior to Cracklin' Rosie it was the Alleluyah chorus in anticipation of GT signing.

why?

Am I a bit daft in the head or does everyone get this.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all get that I think. It's even worse when you get a song in your head that you don't even like and it just annoys you all day. Then you start humming it to yourself and you just get more and more frustrated because you don't even like the song, yet you're humming it... And then someone hears you humming it and they go "ah yeah, that song, isn't that a really good song?" and you say "no, I can't stand it" and they ask "why are you humming it then?" Then you have to explain that you don't really know why you're humming it, it just got caught in your head and you can't get it out...

...You shouldn't get me going like this, I'm a very neurotic individual who is prone to just moan about this sort of crap.

When we listen to a song, it triggers a part of the brain called the auditory cortex. Researchers at Dartmouth University found that when they played part of a familiar song to research subjects, the participants' auditory cortex automatically filled in the rest -- in other words, their brains kept "singing" long after the song had ended . The only way to "scratch" brain itch is to repeat the song over and over in your mind. Unfortunately, like with mosquito bites, the more you scratch the more you itch, and so on until you're stuck in an unending song cycle.

Never mind about that auditory cortex cobblers. It's all down to the pixies.

We all have our own personal juke box in our heads that's stacked with every tune that we've ever heard. Now, every once in a while, the pixies sneak into our bedrooms and put a random track on repeat, this plays in your head all night and then, when you wake, whether it's a tune that you hate or a tune that you love, there it is, stuck on repeat for at least a day.

Pixies, I tell ya, pixies! Oh yes, people laugh and say that they don't exist, but that's just what THEY want you to think. They're there and they're watching us all the time.

Oh, why won't people listen to me? The pixies will get us all in the end.

Archived