• Last Reply

Top Six v Top Six

1 Burnley........P 8 W 4 D 4 L 0 Pts 16

2 Leicester......P 7 W 4 D 2 L 1 Pts 14

3 Forest.......... P 8 W 3 D 2 L 3 Pts 11

4 Wigan...........P 7 W 3 D 2 L 2 Pts 11

5 Derby............P 9 W 2 D 0 L 7 Pts 06

6 QPR..............P 7 W 1 D 2 L 4 Pts 05

Worrying for play-off or next season if finish 2nd?

Hull's record was poor though and they're doing ok.

Plus McClaren didn't lose some of those. He's lost and beaten Wigan. Lost to Burnley and Leicester away. Lost and beaten QPR and has Forest and Reading soon.

Top Six v Top Six

1 Burnley........P 8 W 4 D 4 L 0 Pts 16

2 Leicester......P 7 W 4 D 2 L 1 Pts 14

3 Forest.......... P 8 W 3 D 2 L 3 Pts 11

4 Wigan...........P 7 W 3 D 2 L 2 Pts 11

5 Derby............P 9 W 2 D 0 L 7 Pts 06

6 QPR..............P 7 W 1 D 2 L 4 Pts 05

Worrying for play-off or next season if finish 2nd?

Head to head results have no bearing on the play-offs, forget about it.

Also, we have only once all season lost to a team below us in the league at the time, and that was Wigan who we 'beat on aggregate'. Finish third, no problem.

Close the thread, anti-Kev.

Take you back to our promotion season once again against the final top 6: 2006/07

P10 W3 D1 L6

Matters not one jot in my opinion.

PistoldPete2

Take you back to our promotion season once again against the final top 6: 2006/07

P10 W3 D1 L6

Matters not one jot in my opinion.

Also 3 of our 4 home losses against top 6 teams were before Mac took over. We've improved a lot since then. 

Ten games into the first half of the season we were eleven points behind Burnley and twelve goals down on goal difference. They have less ppg now than they did then. Half way through we finished above them on goal difference.

Ten games into the second half of the season and we are five points behind them and eight goals.

Strange thing to say but if we didn't have to play them we'd already be one point above them. We both have to play the rest of the league and we got more points from them than they did.

We can do it - the game at Turf Moor has convinced me.

I've got my tin hat at the ready here but in many ways I would prefer NOT to get promoted, either via automatic or play-offs, because we genuinely aren't ready.

Even if we do beat Florist and Reading, I don't think it would necessarily prove anything. But if we get promoted, I honestly wouldn't relish the prospect of fielding the majority of our current team in the Prem. Our defence has recently stiffened up somewhat in the admittedly tough environs of the Championship but would almost certainly not 'cut it' at the higher level. I would question the strength of our wide players too. Remove the current loanees from our squad and it would look distinctly thinner and weaker, unless Liverpool and Chelsea let us keep them next season too. Hmmm...

To improve significantly would require the sort of investment that the owners would be extremely unlikely to sanction. Hopefully the new international scouting network may unearth a couple of gems and agents would be touting their players at any newly-promoted team.

I have no way of knowing whether McClaren would feel the same way, but if we could keep the nucleus of the current squad and give them another solid season to 'grow' together we would be so much stronger as a result. Don't forget how young Hughes and Hendrick still are.

Yes this may all seem very pessimistic to some, but also the memories of our previous, embarrassingly disastrous season in the Prem are still fresh enough to guard against over-optimism.

On current form we'd smash the play offs easily.

Does anybody think we would have lost at Burnley without Chris Martin's totally undeserved yellow cards?

Lets say we don't overtake Burnley (unlikely i know), we are so difficult to beat, we never know we're beaten, we are capable of scoring late goals from nowhere, we can knock the ball about as good as anyone, we can score from dead ball situations yet we are the top scorers in the league from open play.

I suggest that the other clubs would ***** themselves at the thought of meeting Derby in the play offs.

And we have Jake Buxton.

Play-offs would be a huge anti-climax now - especially after being 2nd at one stage (Boxing Day?)

On current form, Wigan would storm the play-offs.

25 negative posts and counting….

Archived