George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

No, I don't think he is worth £8 million, but, we were not out to sell him, he was getting games for us before his ACL.

I would expect around £5million or less with the add ons in normal circumstances, but with Jeremy Peaces previous attitude to such situations, I think barring a ridiculous bid from Derby, I have doubts he will let Thorne go now to Derby.

Its a shame because a loan move may well have been on the cards until he opened his big mouth.

One of the newly promoted clubs may now come in for him.

Maybe  but Thorne can do the same, he can dig his heels in and stay put, what would Jeremy do then.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let him rot or sell him elsewhere, maybe swap for Will Hughes, what is he worth in your opinion.

As I say he can not sell him anywhere if Thorne says no plus Jeremy will be treading a fine line under restrictive practice, and other legal issues.

I find it quite funny that some people think WBA will cut their nose off to spite their face. No person would look to ruin the career of a young professional for wanting to go and play first-team football, especially when they would be paid well for his services.

I have no doubts we will push seriously for Thorne, but he is not the only player in the world. So, as much as I would like to sign him, I think we'll move to other targets if WBA try and hold us to ransom.

It's their decision because he is contracted, but I don't believe for one minute it's in anyone's interest for him to stay there.

I have no idea on budgets, but I'd go up to £2million and if not, then I'd walk away.

Jordon Mutch went for £1.5million and he is a proven Premier League performer. 

He has signed a contract, he is ours for 3 years, nothing he can do about it now other than sulk or man up and play for a place in the team.

He is not an important part of our squad, just an emerging player, there is arguably better coming through in the same position anyway, at £5000 a week, JP will let him rot until he chooses to sell him, and he is right to do so, if you were in the same position, you would say the same.

would expect around £5million or less with the add ons in normal circumstances, but with Jeremy Peaces previous attitude to such situations, I think barring a ridiculous bid from Derby, I have doubts he will let Thorne go now to Derby.

Serious question, what previous situations? As someone who takes very little interest in your club and your transfer dealings I know nothing about this hard nosed business man Jeremy Peace and the only similar high profile transfer was Odemwingie so that's all I've got to go on.

Why was he allowed to leave for such a modest fee if this Peace guy is so tough? Obviously it's slightly different as he only had a year left on his contract, but he was also a key first team player up until he got fed up with you. Surely was worth considerably more than what he left for.

What a joke all of this is. Thorne wants first team football and West Brom are not giving that so he is well within his rights to want a move. They just want loads of money for him. Make one offer of 2.5 million and thats it. If they decline look elsewhere beecause we don't want to waste all transfer window on one big mess and get knowhere.

So you would want £15 million for player who has never played a game in the Premiership and was outshone by Thorne in the play off final, but you think Thorne is only worth £2million, have a word with yourself.

He has signed a contract, he is ours for 3 years, nothing he can do about it now other than sulk or man up and play for a place in the team.

He is not an important part of our squad, just an emerging player, there is arguably better coming through in the same position anyway, at £5000 a week, JP will let him rot until he chooses to sell him, and he is right to do so, if you were in the same position, you would say the same.

I definitely wouldn't, but then again, I think of myself 'level-headed' 

Anyone who isn't integral to the first-team at Derby, in my opinion, can leave for whatever is a reasonable fee.

You've quoted £8million, a figure just 500k shy of your highest-ever received transfer fee. Yet, he isn't a first-team player.

£2million is more than reasonable, that's football. 

Lots of reasons there for you to take the cash .

So you would want £15 million for player who has never played a game in the Premiership and was outshone by Thorne in the play off final, but you think Thorne is only worth £2million, have a word with yourself.

Thorne to us would be a lot more than Thorne is worth to you.

Hughes, in my opinion, isn't worth £15million. He is still a few years behind Thorne in development anyway.

Hughes is an important first-team player though, and he will be next season. Whilst there is interest from the Premier League big boys, like Liverpool, he will hold a high asking price.

On the other hand, rightly or wrongly, Thorne's interest starts and ends with a Championship club.

As I said previously, If we cannot afford him then we'll just move on. You'll be stuck with a player in the reserves with a price-tag, according to you, of £8million and nobody will be better off.

It just makes no sense. If Hughes came out and said 'My heart isn't at Derby any more' then I'd sell him for half-the-price and be happy to be rid.

It can't be good to have a player knocking around that simply doesn't want to be there. 

No we wouldn't! Why ruin a young players career because he spoke publicly about wanting to play first team football?

All the outcry has been because he's apparently angling for a move away, the reality is quite the opposite. He does want to move but only if he's not going to play for West Brom's First team. It seems if you guarantee him a starting place then he's happy to stay.

Not going to lose any sleep over it one way or another.

Is Thorne likely to get much game time at West Brom based upon a dozen games in a lower division? I doubt it, other than in the cups. Has he now burned his bridges at Albion? Probably not, but he's certainly not going to win a popularity contest in Baggieville for a while.

Archived